Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #1

New toy

I've got a new toy - a notepad laptop baby pc thing (excuse tecchie language!). So, my posting habits may change, now I can do it sitting in comfort in front of the fire (no fire now though - it may not be a heatwave but it's not that cold) You know what I mean!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #2

Re: New toy

Oh how cool! I've been lusting after one of those, but Apple doesn't make one....yet! Is it easy to use? What kind? Can you transfer things from your PC to it (i.e. Favorites) or have to start from scratch? Lucky you!

A pic would be nice!

Catsey Veteran

15-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

It's Samsung 10" screen, very sweet and so far so good.
I can transfer stuff with a USB stick/flashdrive (those things have so many names!)
(And I'm pinching somebody else's internet connection - haven't got myself a wireless router yet) Naughty!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #4

You'll be sitting on a bale of straw at your allotment posting now DM! How cool are you?

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Great concept angie - but I'm pretty certain there's bo wi-fi at the allotment site!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

Now that you've had your new toy for a few days, how do you like it? I got mine for Christmas and I love being able to post while flopped on the sofa, but I get quite irritated by its little screen, having to scoll up to see some things and not being able to have the full picture available sometimes. I have to go upstairs to the PC if I want to see the big picture!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Now that you've had your new toy for a few days, how do you like it? I got mine for Christmas and I love being able to post while flopped on the sofa, but I get quite irritated by its little screen, having to scoll up to see some things and not being able to have the full picture available sometimes. I have to go upstairs to the PC if I want to see the big picture!
That's an interesting observation; didn't know that! I can see that it would be a nuisance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #8

That sounds cool! Is it just a mini-lappie or does it have any other functionality?

Now that I've got my internet connection working on my Blackberry I can access remotely - EVEN at my allotment LOL!

Thing is, the screen is so small, the load time is so slow and the interface is so lumpy that I've only bothered once or twice when I was suffering major withdrawals from Catsey. And then only to browse rather than post!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
18-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH

I hear you Mrs H...after being overseas for 4 months last year and lugging around a full size lap top... when we got home in October last year i said to my husband... we need a smaller, lighter one if we are going to take a computer with us in future... we went and got a little one...an MSI Wind notebook...it weighs just over 1 kg and is fabulous... BUT...the small screen can be annoying at times... and yes, like you i do go upstairs to the large screen at times.. but for travelling it is amazing and easy to carry around incase i "stumble" upon free wifi.. It doesn't have a disc drive... but it does have 3 USB's and a webcam.. and all we really ues the net for when we are away is checking reservations, keeping in contact with home, and general surfing.. so it is perfect!.. and they are so cheap!

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #10

Jo has put it very well.
Obviously a 10" screen just aint as big as a 15 or 17" desk monitor - but but but, it's actually fine and it's so convenient. Wireless is great, portability is great and I haven't noticed any problems with scrolling or part-screens.