Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
31-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

How to know whether a cat could be shown?

Hi all,
When we brought Imogen home, we had no plans to show her, largely because neither I or OH drive and there aren't all that many shows close to us and also because I have no idea how it all works.
Since then though, I've become a member of the British Shorthair cat club-I wanted to be able to learn more about the breed etc. They have a show in September and they've sent through a show programme.
At the same time, one of my mum's friends has started showing her maine coon kitten and my mum was asking about showing Immy and has offered her chauffer services!
This is getting a bit long-winded but basically I wondered how I could tell whether she's of show quality?
I've read through the breed standard and looked at pictures of other BSH on the internet but is there any other way to tell?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
31-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #2

Re: How to know whether a cat could be shown?

Can you ask her breeder? failing that have a bash and see what the judges think

do you have a photo I could see? I do quite a bit of stewarding in the British section and am getting my eye in so to speak.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
31-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #3

Not that I'm into the show scene (yet) look at the breed standards. Ears, eye colour ect. Go with your gut speak to the breeder and post pics here.
Go with the flo. Plus if your baby doesn't like it......what's the point but you wont know til you give it a bash.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #4

I bought Casper as a show quality kitten.....although the breeder knew I would not show him...But Oliver was bought as a pet only..So the breeder should be bale to tell you...

Catsey Veteran

31-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #5

Soupie, I have asked her breeder but she isn't really interested in showing. I have lots (and lots) of photos so I will try and up-load one later. I just didn't want to turn up to a show and not be allowed in!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
31-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

Hi there

Email the piccies to walker.s17@sky.com and let me have her breeding too and I can cross reference any family on the show bench

I don't show British but show in the British section so hav e a lot to do with them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #7

PL, was she bought as show quality or pet quality?

Catsey Veteran

01-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
PL, was she bought as show quality or pet quality?
She was bought as a gorgeous kitten! Her breeder is one of my colleagues, a vet who breeds as a hobby more than anything else. I picked Imogen to be my baby as she was born-I assisted with the c-section! She struggled to breathe at first and I spent nearly an hour giving her oxygen and cuddling her-she was meant to be my girl!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #9

Awww, I'd forgotten that! I'd say go with Soupie's suggestions; she can probably tell you if she meets the breed standards! I've never shown but enjoyed going to them with my breeder friends very much...it's addictive!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #10

I could go all gooey and say if I were a judge at a cat show, Imogen would get best in just about everything. But I'm not going to, it would be too soppy!

(More pictures of Imogen would be LOVELY Liz!)