Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
08-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

A spraying cat - am I missing something?

Hello!

I'm trying to help my friend with her cat, who is spraying.
She adopted her cat in February and she's 6 years old. She's a gorgeous black kitty with yellow eyes. She is fixed, and she also used to be aggressive, but we worked that out. We have been busy for three weeks already, but last time I gave her some advice, her cat only started to spray more.

She got her checked on urine and health and the vets couldn't find anything. She's also an outdoor cat who comes in to eat and nap and during the night. She usually sprays during the night but occasional during the day too and always the same spot. In the hallway, near the front door. Sometimes against her bike too, if she placed it against that wall.

There used to be an unfixed cat roaming the street, who sprayed against their front door. But her cat has been spraying since the beginning.

I gave her many advice and tips.
- Routine
- Playtime
- Using feliway and spreading her cat's scent (glands on her face) through the house, corners, the hallway.
- Cleaning everything thoroughly or throwing it out if it can't be cleaned.
- making sure no air/scents can go through the crack between the door. (there's a crack if it closes, so air can go through).

They live upstairs, their office is downstairs. He doesn't spray that much upstairs. Their windows are the same hight as the trees. So her cat can watch birds in her spare time.

Downstairs in the hallway are no windows and she's not allowed in the office at night.

This weekend I gave her a tip to add a litterbox in the hallway at the spot she sprays at night, but I haven't heard from her yet (could be good or bad).

Her cat is a lovely social kitty. She comes up to visitors, rubs against them with her face and body and lets her pet. But only her face. The longer you rub her back and side, the more her tail twitches, so she may not really like that. She seems social and confident, but the spraying makes me think she's insecure and feels threatened with what's going on downstairs/outside.

She tried cleaning the spots with a specific thing for against spraying, but it has a citrus smell, and her cat sprayed over it...

I feel like we already tried a lot. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Her behavior wasn't known in the shelter.

She also has feliway diffusers in her home. I was thinking that the scent from the other cats outside puts her off? So far I understood, her cat is the boss of the neighborhood.

But what am I missing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

Re: A spraying cat - am I missing something?

I am so sorry Yulecat - it sounds to me like you've covered everything I can think of. The only hint I can think of passing on is with cleaning up the sprayed area - to use a biological washing powder, I've heard the enzymes really work to get rid of any scent which the cat could smell even though humans might not be able to detect anything. It sounds like you are right, the cat feels threatened. Is there a new cat on the block?

Catsey Junior

08-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am so sorry Yulecat - it sounds to me like you've covered everything I can think of. The only hint I can think of passing on is with cleaning up the sprayed area - to use a biological washing powder, I've heard the enzymes really work to get rid of any scent which the cat could smell even though humans might not be able to detect anything. It sounds like you are right, the cat feels threatened. Is there a new cat on the block?
I'm pretty sure I missed something. But I just can't figure it out. Maybe scent soakers in the hallway?

My last resort is placing food and water there. Cause most cats won't spray near their food. But I'm afraid he'll just find another spot.

I wish I could place a camera there. Just to see what happens at night.

So far I know there's no new cat on the block.

Biological washing powder? Never thought of that. I thought normal washing liquid for washing machines would work as well. But I got that as a tip years ago.

They are... People who don't know much about cats. They only have one toy, no scratching posts either. If you'd come in, you wouldn't think they have a cat. I don't smell the urine either.

The day after my advice, she sprayed again. And the day after that, when she got back from grocery shopping. They ride their bike into the hallway. She put her groceries away, had lunch and her cat sprayed there against her bike -- she barely sprays during the day.

So I wonder... Is it the scent of something unknown that throws her cat off?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
10-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

Yulecat, if the poor girl is mainly spraying in only that one area by the door, then there is some trigger pertaining to that specific area that is upsetting her. Perhaps your friends could place their bike elsewhere as the smells it carries could be threatening for her Also, placing a nice clean litterbox there may help. Have they tried washing the OUTSIDE area by their front door?She might be detecting smells coming from the outside area. I hope that you have some success because I can imagine that the problem must be very annoying for your friends. Good luck !.

Catsey Junior

10-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
Yulecat, if the poor girl is mainly spraying in only that one area by the door, then there is some trigger pertaining to that specific area that is upsetting her. Perhaps your friends could place their bike elsewhere as the smells it carries could be threatening for her Also, placing a nice clean litterbox there may help. Have they tried washing the OUTSIDE area by their front door?She might be detecting smells coming from the outside area. I hope that you have some success because I can imagine that the problem must be very annoying for your friends. Good luck !.
She's placed the bike outside one day. Her cat ended up either spraying the walls or in the corner next the door. She cleaned the door inside and outside as well. (not sure of the outside area).

Thank you for the tips!

It's rare, but sometimes she sprays in the bathroom and kitchen. Both times near a window.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #6

I wonder are the bike tyres bringing some strange cat smrlls into the house?

Catsey Junior

12-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I wonder are the bike tyres bringing some strange cat smrlls into the house?
Or the cycle-bags perhaps? But yes, that's what I was thinking too. Because when she places the bike outside, the cat pees on the corner of the door. If the bike is inside, she will spray against it.