Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Birmans
21-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

Birman Cats

Hey

Ive Just Brought Another Birman so i now have two. the one i brought today is bitting and and Scratching my mum, he then hisses at My Mum and Me but not my dad i know his last owners got rid of him coz of some reason that is not allowed to be told, so you could you tell me what would be the best thing to do?? Please help before he kills My Other One!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

Re: Birman Cats

Why is the reason not allowed to be told? Is that to you or to us? Because - and excuse my plain speaking here, if you would like some advice and help it's really useful to know all the facts to be able to have a chance of advising correctly.

There are many reasons for agression in cats - the main one being fear. Try getting everyone to back off and don't expect miracles. It can take a good while to integrate a cat into a family - feline and human, and longer if that cat has a history of abuse or neglect.

Hopefully you can give us a little more insight?

21-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #3

well all i know about him is that his owners divorced 4 some reason and the Jasper the New Cat got attached to the male and then they gave him back to the owner till tonight when we took him. Please Help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #4

There are several good threads here about introductions, so it's worth having a bit of a look around.

Essentially, if the cat is very frightened segregate him from the rest of the house. A large cage/pen or a small room such as an ensuite bathroom should do the trick. Water, food and litter tray should be provided.

You really need to take it slowly, gently and quietly and please have patience. This cat is stressed and in a new environment. You need to stabilise him and gain some trust and he will begin to respond. Don't crowd him and please don't expect too much.

I'm going to have to log off now, but there are others that can offer advice here so pleas give as much info as you can!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Following on from Yola's excellent advice, here are some links where introducing a new cat has been discussed before......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ng+a+new +cat

..... this link is very helful too.......

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

You will find plenty of useful tips from our members in the above but please remember to take things very slow, both cats are new to you and both are liable to be feeling stressed at this time.

Good luck, please keep us updated how they get on together...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

The poor baby no wonder he is acting as he is. He is totally confused. Firstly with the split of his previous owners, going with one partner only to be returned to the other and then taken to your house where everyone is a stranger as well as there being another cat. As previously stated everything needs to be taking very, very slowly. No rushing to pick him up and cuddle him even if you really want to, which I am sure you all do, this is just frightening him more. Try keeping him in one room on his own for a bit with only contact with one or two people so he gains your trust. Slowly introduce your other cat but only while you are there and try not to pay attention to your first cat too much during these introductions. Gradually you will be able to expand his areas and the number of people he knows. It may very well be that he will always be a cat that wants your attention but when he wants it not when you do. Just give him time and I am sure when he realises you aren't going to pass him on to someone else he will come round.
Good luck.

24-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #7

its a shame that jasper had to go bak he was a gorgeus cat but it was 4 the best we still have Luda but he is bein a pain bless him lol. ill keep u updated on Luda's Progress.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #8

Oh dear, how sad for the poor little cat.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #9

Can I ask why Jasper went back??

25-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #10

We didnt think it was fair 2 keep him as he wldnt come out and kept hissing at us and wouldnt feed and he was scaring our other cat Luda. The Breeder we got Jasper off of recons that he was abused and that is why he wouldnt settle its just something we will never know, The breeder may just keep Jasper as a Show Cat or if he wont settle anywhere he may have to be put down .