Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: British Shorthairs
Darwin is Male
11-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

New to Cat Showing- a few questions

Hello, I am new to the forum and have just applied for entry to my first GCCF cat show in a few months time. I have two new BSH kittens (13 weeks).

Do you have any tips regarding getting my kittens prepared for their first show? I am a bit anxious about it as do not want to look a real fool when I arrive

I have bought two top-opening wire carriers (plastic coated) to transport them in. Is this what most show goers use to transport their cats in?

I have found an company where I can order my show equipment on line, Is there anything else I may need?

I have read that the cats have to have a elasticated string around the neck with a number card on, is this correct?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #2

Re: New to Cat Showing- a few questions

Hi and welcome to Catsey, Darwin. Sorry, I can't help with show questions; we do have knowledgeable breeders/showers here and hope someone will be along soon with answers for you. Good luck with the kittens at their first show!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #3

No idea either - no doubt some of the folks that show will help out with some hints and tips.

Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Would your breeder not be able to help you? I must admit when I showed mine it was the most boring experience I have ever been part of, never again. Of course thats only me, many love it. Best of luck, what colour are your kittens?

Cats owned: British Shorthairs
Darwin is Male
13-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #5

Thank you for the welcomes. The breeders of my cats are very very helpful but additional views/ experiences are always useful. I am sorry you did not enjoy showng borderdawn. I have no idea if I will, or if the cats will either! As long as the other competitors are friendly and welcoming I shall be fine. If they are unpleasant, over-competitive or unhelpful to beginers then I shall forget the whole idea But if the breeders of my cats are anything to go by, it should be a fun day out with other mad cat people!!!!

Catsey Veteran

13-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #6

I'v never shown myself but often accompanied my breeder friends to shows, In my experience, they were great fun, most people were friendly and very helpful. And the freebies are nice!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #7

Hi Darwin - I am sorry - I overlooked this thread as I don't show. Welcome to Catsey anyway.

I want to go to a cat show, but still haven't made it - one day perhaps!

Of course you could always show photos of your cats here - they would be very welcome as we are mad cat people who just love cat pictures!

Catsey Veteran

13-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

Second the photo request, Darwin!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
13-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin
Thank you for the welcomes. The breeders of my cats are very very helpful but additional views/ experiences are always useful. I am sorry you did not enjoy showng borderdawn. I have no idea if I will, or if the cats will either! As long as the other competitors are friendly and welcoming I shall be fine. If they are unpleasant, over-competitive or unhelpful to beginers then I shall forget the whole idea But if the breeders of my cats are anything to go by, it should be a fun day out with other mad cat people!!!!
I agree if you like it then go for it, I hated it yet have enjoyed showing dogs for over 23yrs. The difference being I didnt like leaving the cat unattended for 2hrs while they were judged, acceptable absolutely, but then to have to stay for a further 4 hours afterwards was awful. So boring. Cant say the Cat wasnt content there, he was very relaxed the whole time and very friendly with all throughout, just not my scene.

I also didnt like that it was so easy to "make up" Cats into champions, Im used to competing with upto 250 other dogs of the same breed, I guess I thought it was too easy, Id not feel Id won anything really.

Give it a go, see how you like it, you wont know till you try. Some pics will be nice, I have 3 BSH.