Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
19-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #21

Re: Harnesses....

I used a harnes on my two cat when they were 11 years old as I wanted them to be able to go out but be bale to keep an eye on them as they have health issues. I am now in the process of cat proofing my garden so they can run around. I have also used a harness on my new kitten. I started by putting it on for short perioda and increasing it for my older cats but just put it on ziggy as she is veyr outgoing.

hope it works for you best of luck

Tilly

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
20-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #22

We use harnesses for both our cats!

We started using one right from when Miw was 9 weeks old (that was 4 years ago) and she won't go out now without the harness on! She's so used to it that we can tie her on a long rope and let her wander the garden on her own, checking on her periodically. She has managed to "slip" the harness once or twice when it's caught on a stone or low branch, but she immediately comes to the door and meows to let us know. She also holidays with us in Derbyshire every year and goes for walks in the countryside and in the hills LOL she's fine as long as no one talks to her on the walks, then she gets a bit skittish and leaps into OH's arms.

We have also gotten Mousie used to a harness as well, however we don't let her out on it by herself as she is full of mischief and I'm terrified to think of the trouble she could get into! She's a climber and when we take her around the garden on her harness we have to stay well away from trees or she'll disappear up them in the blink of an eye.....harness and all LOL!

Yep, harnesses are great for cats who can get used to them! Keeps them safe from cars, etc but lets them have outdoor time.

Be warned though....they WILL get used to going outside and will want out at least every day......Miw drives us mad with her yowling to go out at least 3 times a day LOL!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #23

I've got a harness for Posh now which is great we both get fresh air and although its only our garden she walks around I feel better that she's away from the cars and other cats that may chase her off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #24

Some pics coming. PP? I'm a great believer in harnesses if you live in an area where free roaming is unsafe or impractical.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #25

I'lltryand get some picsof Posh in her pretty pink harness and also the grass eating exploits

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #26

I'd love to see them. I had two, a green one for stout Misty that matched her eye color, and a red one that fit both Dandy and Patches who were smaller cats. It used to be Sultans.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #27

Oh yes PP - I also vote for pictures of Posh in her harness! What a good girl. Pip is getting used to going out for walks in his harness too. He will eventually be allowed to go outside without, but he's too young atm. Kizzy likes to accompany us now. (I know, photos!)

Cats owned: prospective russian blue!
19-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #28

I'm really keen on harness training our prospective cats.

I hear that 'H' harnesses- that go round the cat's front legs rather than their neck, are best. Anyone have any experience with the different types?

Also- does anyone know a good place to get harnesses online? I saw one of zooplus.com, but it was black and rather boring! I'd love a cuter one.

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #29

I've always used a figure 8 harness.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #30

Hi Mayberry! You should send a PM to our member random who sells online.

I have one of her harnesses for Pip, who loves to walk around the garden on it.