Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: British Shorthair
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Harnesses....

What's your opinion on using harnesses on cats?

I have two indoor cats and would love for them to have a wander safely around the garden but only if I used a harness. It is something I've been thinking about for a while now but was unsure whether it would make them pine to be let out all the time?

Lian x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Harnesses....

Hi Lian,

I think it's quite a tricky one, as once they have had a taste of the outside they may well pine to go out. But if you can get into some kind of routine and let them out regularly this may keep them happy.

I know there are other members on here who use harnesses sucessfully.

I did use a harness with my cat, Kuta, when we lived in an apartment in Australia. It did work well, but Kuta is quite a nervy cat anyway and she wasn't that keen on being in the big wide world!!!

I know a breeder who puts their stud cats on harnesses and ties them on an extra piece of string to the washing line in the summer. Sounds odd - but it means that they can wander the whole length of the garden and have a bit of freedom, but on a long "lead" They seem to love it!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

If you get them used to the harness and they come to expect going out ONLY on the harness then there shouldn't be any problem.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby but in grey and white
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #4

i treid it with moyesy and it did work, but i did find that he did get a taste for going out and started creating a fuss, so in the end i gave up and let him out... although he was a rescue cat and apparantly a stray so he would of been used to going out and i dont think that you can change that about a cat once theyve had a taste for freedom.. however if i do find him on the street at any time and i walk home with him he will just walk at my side now without any fuss.. just like a traind dog so it must of worked a little in his head id definately give it a try though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #5

Some of my indoor only cats are harness trained and seem to love being outdoors on their harnesses

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

I agree that if you establish a routine and adhere to it they will adjust happily and not try to go out. And I disagree that a cat who had been previously outdoors will not adapt to it: Patches who I rehomed when she was 1 1/2, quickly adjusted to walking on her harness when she realized that was the only way she was going out. She watched me walking my other two from the window and, being a smart girl, caught on! Over the years I've harness-trained 5 cats: 3 pedigrees and 2 moggies; it's an ideal situation for someone like me on a heavily trafficed street and with a woods nearby with foxes, etc! Go for it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

My cat has been trained to be on a harness as we live on a main road and I couldn't justify not protecting him from being knocked over.
I got him used to it by letting him wear it for longer each day around the house, then he went on a lead into the garden, then I bought a retractable dod lead so that he could wander without me standing behind him, now he is attached to the washing line with the retractable dog lead this means he doesn't get tangled in anything and is content knowing how far he can go, but he gets the full run of the garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #8

Another vote for harness and a regular schedule for walks.
Which reminds me that I need to order another harness and a sack of collars at Kittycat Boutique. ^^ His nibs has taken to misplacing them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: British Shorthair
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #9

Some great ideas thanks. Think I will try this weekend.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #10

Awaiting a report with interest, Lian! Good luck....and pics, maybe?