Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #21

Re: Caring for a blind cat?

How to Pill a Cat

It is important to pill a cat correctly, because getting it wrong may cause aspiration pneumonia. Pet Place has more information on this.

Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine has a video on how to give a cat pills or capsules.
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine has a video on how to give a cat liquid medications.
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine has a series of photos showing how to give oral medications to a cat.
The Humane Society of the United States has a series of diagrams showing how to give a cat a pill.
Pet Placedescribes how to give a pill.
Pagewise also has a description of how to pill a cat.
Ben, a CRF List member cat, happily receives his moistened gelcap (gelatin capsule) containing his medications.

The Importance of a Water Chaser

Recent studies have shown that cats find it much easier to swallow pills if they are given some water immediately afterwards. You may want to keep a bottle of water (the sort used for feeding kittens can be useful) and give your cat a little water every time you pill him/her, or perhaps follow pills with some watered-down syringed food. It may also help to give a little water before giving a cat a pill. Below are links to pillshooters which enable you to give water immediately after the pill. Alternatively you could give a little moist food, such as a spoonful of baby food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
13-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #22

Our Spice is on Istin, she gets a quarter and is doing well on it, and it gives us some leeway to increase if needed.
I would agree with Elaine and think it is probably the high blood pressure affecting his breathing, especially if it happens when he is stressed, but it is still worth talking to the vet for reassurance.

I don't know if sight recovers after such damage, I do know of one cat who had high blood pressure and was blind, and it never recovered, but as said before they adapt wonderfully.
Mustard, one of our cats,was blind as well as having neurological problems and he coped very well. His did stop jumping and I wouldn't let a bind cat out to wander, they should become house cats or be supervised when in a secure garden.
Best of luck and I hope his blood pressure settles. I would imagine it must make then feel very poorly with a constant headache.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
14-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #23

My Cat is also on Istin.