Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: n/a
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #11

Re: Bengal Rescue

Sorry, I think £150 is appalling. I thought the idea was to find cats a good and loving home, not get as much as you can for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinky
Sorry, I think £150 is appalling. I thought the idea was to find cats a good and loving home, not get as much as you can for them.

Have you read the post from Bengal rescue above

""Our cats leave us microchipped, vaccinated (including FeLV), blood tested if need be for FeLV, frontlined, drontaled and insured when they leave us. They also leave our care with a pack of goodies, beds, food, toys, and quite often a carrier. ""

have you any idea how much all of these cost Twinky?

03-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Have you read the post from Bengal rescue above

""Our cats leave us microchipped, vaccinated (including FeLV), blood tested if need be for FeLV, frontlined, drontaled and insured when they leave us. They also leave our care with a pack of goodies, beds, food, toys, and quite often a carrier. ""

have you any idea how much all of these cost Twinky?
Yes, I have. They need to cut out the 'goodies', and get to the real point of a rescue and rehoming scheme. Get a cat into a good forever home.

Catsey Veteran

03-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, I have. They need to cut out the 'goodies', and get to the real point of a rescue and rehoming scheme. Get a cat into a good forever home.
I think that is a very unfair thing to say!
The neutering / vaccination / blood test & microchip would cost more than £150.

03-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
I think that is a very unfair thing to say!
The neutering / vaccination / blood test & microchip would cost more than £150.
I know. I have owned cats young and old. But does every cat going through the rescue home already need the vaccination, chip, neutering? Maybe they should 'price' them according to what they have paid for themselves?

Catsey Veteran

03-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
I know. I have owned cats young and old. But does every cat going through the rescue home already need the vaccination, chip, neutering? Maybe they should 'price' them according to what they have paid for themselves?
A pedigree bengal would cost a fortune from a breeder -kitten or adult.
Yes some of them may already be neutered or vaccinated, but however you look at it, your £150 fee will ensure that you take on a cat that is wormed / treated for fleas & neutered etc...
Believe me, they won't be making any money out of it.

Don't forget they have to feed them & pay for other vet costs for cats that are ill etc

03-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
A pedigree bengal would cost a fortune from a breeder -kitten or adult.
Yes some of them may already be neutered or vaccinated, but however you look at it, your £150 fee will ensure that you take on a cat that is wormed / treated for fleas & neutered etc...
Believe me, they won't be making any money out of it.

Don't forget they have to feed them & pay for other vet costs for cats that are ill etc
I do appreciate all that. But at the end of the day, someone wants to give a cat at home. Maybe a small loss would be incurred, but then they wouldn't have the expense of keeping the cat on, would they? Sorry to come across so negative in my first posts, but it really gets to me when rescue centres are screaming out for new homes, and then place every obstacle possible in your way.

Catsey Veteran

03-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #18

I do understand what you are saying & in a way I agree, but I see it from the other side of the fence. I know the cats that I take in cost way more than any donations I get. We don't have a "fee" just a donation of whatever the adopter wants to give, which you may think is more fair, but then people take on 2 healthy cats which have cost us a small fortune to be neutered / health checked / blood tested / wormed / vaccinated / treated for fleas / M/C'd & then the people give you a fiver as a donation! It doesn't make sense & if the people are aware of the costs of owning a cat including vaccines / regular worming etc then you'd think they would be happy to pay £150 adoption fee.

Most rescues are voluntary, the one I'm involved in is totally voluntary - so all the donations go to help the cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #19

I have come across rescues that ask for a "donation" then tell you how much of a "donation" they want.
I also agree that some people take the mickey. I have had first hand experiance, albeit a dog and not a cat.
Give you an example, a boxer is about £500 to £700 as a pup. A person comes for a young dog (under 2) and gives a £25 donation, mean while said dog has cost £150 to collect and keep . Where do you draw the line? There is no fast rules but most rescues run short and only just keep there heads above water.
What makes me mad, is so called rescues that do nothing. They say all animals are vet checked ect and they arnt I would much rather go to a reputable place, pay a little extra, knowing the animal is vet checked, wormed, micro chiped ect than a fly bye night money makeing organisation. Beleive me there are alot out there.

Cats owned: Moggies
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #20

I want to say how discusted I am at reading someone complaining about being charged £150. for a Bengal cat.
I run a cat rescue charity. I work 7 days a week, it is now 10 pm and I am just finishing for today and will be up at 6 am to start the next rescue day.
Do people realise how many unwanted, abused and dumped cats out there? We bring them into care. Nurse them to health, pay to have them health checked by a vet £30. fully vaccinated between £50/£70, teeth cleaned £150.-if they need it, neutered £40/£80. Microchipped £10/£30. Flead and wormed £6. Fed on all the best food. One cat if ill can cost us up to £1000. Our vet bills are approx £3000 a month. Our outgoing expenses approx: £5000 a month. I am sure you have worked out that £150. does not cover the cost of the cat. Then we get people moaning that they have to pay a SMALL contribution when they come to us for a cat. Rescue charities actually subsidise the cost of owning a cat.
I do not get any wages because there is no spare money.

All I can say is go buy a Bengal cat from a breeder. And then pay for your own vaccinations etc. I guess you would be looking at near £1000. Or be decent people and support a rescue charity.