Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
22-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Spraying furniture

Dylan has started spraying the furniture in the sitting room. None of it has been moved since before Dylan came to us. Mum and stepdad have both said that if Dylan doesn't stop spraying they will be after rehoming him

Any suggestions for how to stop him spraying? If it comes to them wanting him out I will be fighting my corner, partly because Dylan's so affectionate and there's not many people (I learnt this from the days of volunteering at the rescue) who would be willing to take on a cat with both known health and behaviour problems

(For the record Dylan's health problems are his heart murmur and a food sensitivity issue, the worst food that triggers it is iams but there are others that trigger it a little as well)

I was in tears all last night because of what was said, add to that the fact that yesterday evening Dylan ripped one of his claws again and he was bleeding from it

Any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

Re: Spraying furniture

I am very sorry to hear about this RCR and I can imagine how upset you must be at the thought of losing Dylan.

The only things I can suggest are scrupulous cleaning of the areas where he has been spraying and substituting with something like Feliway to try and make him feel more secure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
23-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

Well thats not good that Dylan is spraying...that will cause stress for sure.

These are just suggestions:
Try spraying him with water if you can catch him in the process of spraying. Or maybe try blocking him off from that room until he is able to stop doing it. Try using a pet repellent like bitter apple or a citrus scent like lemon on the area.

And I agree too, try Feliway or an enzyme cleaner.

I sure hope you find a way to get him to stop spraying *crossing fingers*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
23-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Oh no thats terrible they wouldn`t really make you do that would they. Angie and HappyKatz have both come up with really good suggestions that I hope will work, do let us know how things go..........Fingers and Paws crossed here xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
01-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

He's only sprayed the furniture twice so far, he's on anti spray stuff (in his food) and so far he hasn't sprayed since being put on it. He's done normal weeing (in his tray or watering the grass outside). He's now got an ear infection (we think) so he's on ear drops as well (he's not been balancing well this morning so he's on ear drops). There's loads of black muck in one ear.

Since last being on (internet problems) he's taken to sleeping on my pillow (during the day) or on top of me (at night)

We tried feliway in the past but Dylan thought it was a litter tray and sprayed on it