Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
15-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #1

Obsessed with litter scratching, is this normal?

OK, so Cloud does her business, normally in the correct place, covers it and then wanders off to go elsewhere. That's fine. Except I then hear her scratch the carpet, any walls/couch backs surrounding the tray, the plastic bottom of the tray itself, and she'll go away and come back again countless times (or so it seems) to continue on in her efforts to cover up where she has been...

Is this usual cat behaviour or is it a sign that she may be on the stressed side? Is there anything that I can do to help her with this if it does mean there's something wrong? As a first time cat owner, it almost feels like she's worried she isn't covering up well enough, and so has to keep on returning to 'do it better'. Would a covered litter tray help?

Yeah, any thoughts/advice would be good.

Thanks!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Re: Obsessed with litter scratching, is this normal?

I think if they can still smell it they keep scratching to cover up the smell more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

I did not know if this behaviour is within the normal range, so Googled and came up with this ...

"........ But sometimes scratching in the litter box becomes excessive. Maybe something is frustrating her? Does your cat have enough litter material to fulfill her instinctual urge to cover up waste? Is her box big enough so she can perform her normal elimination behavior? Is her box kept clean? Is her box in a calm and private location?

If the answer to the questions above is yes for all questions, then maybe your cat does not like her litter. A wide range of cat litters are available today, and cats react differently to different products. So try another type of litter and see how the behavior is impacted.

If you have tried everything and the excessive scratching persists, consult your veterinarian as this behavior may be caused by a physical problem."

Source: http://www.tidycats.com/life/littert...thecatbox.aspx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

That's very helpful, Angie! 99% of the time Leia just covers and leaves, rarely she will vigorously scratch the wall or the metal cabinet next to the tray as well. The next time she does I'll ceck to see if the box seems a tad soiled ...

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

Thanks all. And interesting link Angie. The boxes she has right now are fairly large for uncovered variety, but she rarely uses them more than once or possibly twice if I'm lucky, before counting them too dirty to use. Am planning on going to PAH tomorrow (pay day!!!) to pick up some (1-2) of the covered ones - which seem to start from a bit bigger than uncovered. Will see how she goes with that... And maybe make the litter deeper as well...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Thanks all. And interesting link Angie. The boxes she has right now are fairly large for uncovered variety, but she rarely uses them more than once or possibly twice if I'm lucky, before counting them too dirty to use. Am planning on going to PAH tomorrow (pay day!!!) to pick up some (1-2) of the covered ones - which seem to start from a bit bigger than uncovered. Will see how she goes with that... And maybe make the litter deeper as well...
Amber scratches a lot. Sometimes think shes scratching to Australia. She'll come out of the covered box & come back again for another scratch. The covered boxes are great especially for energetic scratchers. Both ours use the same tray which from what i have read appears to be unusual.

Have you tried the sandy type litter? Ours love the texture but dont really go to that pet shop now. Am using PAH own ultra white non clumping litter which is quite good.

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

I mostly use wood based litter, cause that's what she grew up with. Have tried a few things - when I first got her I ordered in paper stuff, cause I expected it to be different. It was so dusty it set my asthma off and went right in the bin!!!

Then found some catsan, which I don't know if she recognised as litter (she does occasionally use it now, but I don't think she particularly likes it!) cause she ignored it completely and 'went' on the floor instead. I went right out and found some wood litter - which I'd failed to do the night she went home, though I did go looking for it.

Since then, I've pretty well stuck to wood kind (only using the catsan after she stayed with her brother for a bit and saw him using similar...) with the other being only for 'emergencys' if I've judged it wrong and we've run out...

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

This afternoon Leia did an enthusiastic scratching on the metal cabinet by the box ,,, litter was very fresh, have no idea why she did. ???

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #9

seems that cats are very obsessive about scratching their litter. I have noticed she doesn't do it as much when she wee's, just the other... Which corresponds to smellier...

Catsey Veteran

17-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #10

Yes, that's what Leia did ... but normally just covers. Then again, her nose is more sensitive than mine ...... smellier to her?