Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
12-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Re: Indoor cats in summer

Dandysmom, I was actually thinking along those lines but didn't know if it would be considered too cruel to do?! Poor thing would be laughed at too, what a degrading encounter he'd have The water spray doesn't actually work on him, he quite likes water as I've tried the bottles to keep him away from the wires for the T.V and it didn't work however loud noises (albeit briefly) worked, so maybe that route will work...

Pamela, I'm glad I'm not alone in this!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #12

your definately not alone, milosmum!!!
Im surprised the skooshy bottle doesnt work, Harris runs a mile as soon as we pick it up now when hes at the plant or places he shouldnt be!! We very rarely actually spray it. Think we did it 2 or 3 times but not on him, just beside where he was and he didnt like it

12-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #13

Milo must have some turkish van in his ancestry! He doesn't particularly care for squibbing with a bottle and will jump into the bath/sink when water is running to have a look, he's not that thrilled when his paws get wet but he certainly doesn't have that whole freaking out and running off thing that I expected him to have! Pity really otherwise training him to avoid the TV wires & outside doors would've been a doddle. :P

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
13-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #14

im another one worried about this!!
when i got my mondo(rip) i lived in a flat, id rescued him at 5 months and he'd never been out. i moved after 2 years and my back door consists of a patio door that covers the whole wall! so i was worried about him getting out when the door was open. luckily, he would only go into the garden, very occasionally into the next door neighbours garden, but that was by digging a hole under the fence, dont think he realised he could just jump it
he would come in when i called him

now pip on the other hand, seems very interested in getting out aswell! hes 6 months just now and going on this weather it may be another few before i need the door wide open! i would happily let him out in the garden, i just dont want him wandering, only last night i was woken up by some maniac in the streets weilding a golf club shouting 'c'mon big man'!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #15

thats not good lynz, i hope he was dealt with by the police and didnt get near anyone with teh club!!

Unfortunately, we dont have a garden that Harris can go into due to living in a flat, we do have a great stretch of grass beside us but it is right in the main road and my concern is that he could get hurt or worse if he became curious about whats on the other side of the main road

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
13-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #16

oh i dont really know
il give you another example, on bonfire night because there is a large patch of grass just 2 doors up from my house, they(i mean idiots) always have a bonfire there, and this year it got out of hand and the firebrigade were called. the fire brigade came and were bombarded with abuse so they had to back off and wait for the police to come! i just dont want him getting out and some sicko doing something to him!
i know your worry with the roads, when i was staying with mum we had two young cats who were killed on the roads

14-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #17

There are always articles in the paper around me about sickos that have either shot cats with pellet guns, sent hamsters off strapped to a firework or (the latest one), hung two young dogs by the neck over a bridge. So, among the many other reasons, Milo stays in!!

My garage is connected to the house by a door and Milo is forever darting out there when the door is opened, but lately I've noticed he's a bit more blasé about it, so I'm hoping with time the same will happen with the front door etc!