Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: na
11-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Weeing on the carpet

Tom our rescue cat has been with us for three weeks now and has settled in brilliantly. One thing he keeps doing is weeing in the living room.

He uses his litter tray (in the kitchen) no problem, even when he got scared by someone who banged on the door he ran to the litter tray and weed in it.

He hasn't done it in any of the other rooms in the house and its happened twice in the past 3 weeks.

Went vets on Monday for a check up Vet said he was fine.

He only does it when we are in (we shut the living room door when we are out because the front door opens straight out into the street and dont want him running out onto the main road).

Totally confused as to why he does it. He has the run of the house and sleeps in the living room at night so why these random accidents? Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

Re: Weeing on the carpet

Do you have a tray in the sitting room? It could be that he doesn't realise when he needs to use the tray until it's too late (Dylan has been known to do that occasionally)

With Dylan he doesn't want to go out to do his business but on the other hand (paw) he's not keen on using his tray

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Yes, I agree with RCR and initially I'd try putting a second tray in the living room. Let us know if it helps.

Catsey Junior

11-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

Hes very good at knowing when he wants to go. Hes regular as clockwork. If he was doing it every day and in the same place Id say it was because of this but he had just been in the kitchen and the door was open (he has no problem peeing if theres someone in the room with him). Like I say hes done it twice in 3 weeks, roughly a week apart.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Is there anything in the house that could be making him worried? That's the only other thing I can think of ... or maybe there's a neighbourhood cat he can see out of the window that he feels threatened by ...

Catsey Junior

11-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

We had just come in from work. Maybe he was fretting??

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #7

He might have been. What do you do when you get in? Do you make a big deal of coming and going to and from work? I know dogs fret if you do, not sure whether it's the same for cats or not.

Catsey Junior

11-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #8

Ok I think I might have an idea. My mums washing machine broke and I bought her shopping trolley down with some washing in. Mum has cats and I know one of her gingers is a bit of a sprayer. I parked the trolley opposite his tray and left it there whilst I did the washing. Could the trolley smelling of strange cats make him mark his territory? The time he did it before I had the trolley here ( machine broke down again). Have stuck the trolley outside (and hes just used the tray).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Sounds as if you have found the reason...

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #10

Would having the trolley outside be an option while you are emptying it?