Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Fighting

Following on from another thread about play fighting, I have been meaning to ask about my two for a while....

Chloe and Misty fight every day. They are not friendly towards each other. They never groom each other, never sit near each other, and usually are in separate rooms. Chloe goes out of her way to lay in wait to attack Misty who always is the one being attacked. She has a rip in her ear at the moment and a scab on her neck from the attacks. I am beginning to wonder if the situation with Chloe and Misty is getting to a level where I need to do something about it!!! But no idea what!!!

When they are fighting it is always Chloe after Misty and it is always Misty that is crying out... sometimes Misty will hiss at Chloe as if to warn her to stay away if they are passing each other.

Should I ignore this behaviour or try to do something about it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

Re: Fighting

I am sorry to say I have no ideas Donna. How long have your two lived together? My Merlin and Smudge were never friends, and there used to be a state of armed neutrality about them. They would only strike out though if one got too close to the other. There were never any fights.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

I'm sorry I have ho ideas either. Misty and Patches disliked one another very obviously, never groomed or slept together. But it was limited to a nasty growl or hiss and the occasional raised paw, never an actual confrontation.

Do you have a Feliway?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

They have been together since they were both six weeks old. Chloe came first and then at about 9 weeks old I got Misty to be her friend and Misty was 6 weeks old. From day 1 Chloe didnt like the "new intruder" in the house and it has been getting more and more obvious as the years have gone on. They will both be five this Autumn.

I don't have a Feliway. Will this help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
28-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

My Leo and Merlin behave like that, every now and then they swipe each other, they are not and never have been friends....I tend just to leave them alone...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Am I right in saying Chloe is the tortie, Donna? Torties are renowned for being a bit spitty ....... Cassie is the same when she sees another cat, yet she is fine on her own.

It's a shame they don't get on together, they are both lovely cats. It's a pity we don't see much Smudgley here anymore as she has a tortie as well, it would have been interesting to know how hers got on with her other cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

Excellent point, Mags, my Patches was a tortie! I thought it was because she was another adult female who'd been introduced to Misty's territory ... forgot about the tortie aspect!

The Feliway emits soothing cat pheromones; don't know if i would work but worth giving one a try, I'd say. I'd never heard of them when Misty and Patches were alive.