Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Christmas trees

Harris finally suceeded in bring my christmas tree crashing to the floor this morn, anyone know how to keep him away from it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

Re: Christmas trees

dandysmom suggested tying it to the wall , or a friend of mine used a spray water bottle on her cat anytime he went near it. I only ever had to psst at mine really loudly for them to run off, and now they don't bother with it

BTW, how is the weather and the roads in Cumbernauld atm? We are heading up there on friday to deliver the Christmas pressies and I'm kind of apprehensive about it after all the horror stories of the last week :/

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #3

thanks for that, we have been using a skooshy bottle since the tree went up but he still attacks it especially at night time when we are in bed. He got clever this morn when we were in the livingroom and he pulled it down on top of himself so i think he has had a bit of a fright and hasnt been near my now stripped tree as i need to re-do it again!!

The roads here are alot better. Our carpark has finally started showing that it is made of tarmac! The main roads are fine, still some snow seperating lanes but its fine. what time are you in cumbernauld on friday? you up for long?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

we'll get there late on friday night, then stay until late on monday afternoon But glad to hear the roads are looking better, fingers crossed for no more snow between now and then lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

I suggest tying the tree to the wall quite simple a piece of soft rope/cord just to secure it and shatter proof baubles on the bottom cat tails can be a law unto themselves................ they soon get used to it as long as you don't encourage them to bat the baubles around etc.
Hopefuly the shock of the fall will keep him away thats one way of putting them off.

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #6

this is the first he has brought it down, u usually climbs it and knocks the baubles off during the night just to waken us up i think!!! It is up on a table but he still insists in jumping up to climb it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #7

Can you not shut the living room door to keep Harris out if you're not in there to supervise?

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

at the moment, the house is in the middle of being done up and we dont have any internal doors except the 1 for our bedroom and the bathroom!! just going to persevere with skooshy bottle. He hasnt been near it since it toppled so hopefully that will be enough to keep him away

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #9

Cassie would always climb up our through the middle of the tree. We rectified that by putting loads of thick green tinsel on all the inner branches ..... it didn't notice and it blocked all her entrances into the tree!

Good luck for the next couple of weeks!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
14-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #10

You could always try tying pieces of citrus peel around the lower branches or wherever the cat tries to climb up. Even just laying slices of citrus fruit along the lower branches might help deter the cat?