Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Chartreux,Maine Coon
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Kitten Urinates on my floor!!!! HELP!!!!

I have an adopted kitten about 3-4 months old (not sure) and in the past week she has been urinating in my house. Mainly in my childrens closets, and my bedroom floor. Thankfully we have hardwood floors throughout the house, but the smell is still horrid. Why is she doing this? How do I break her from urinating everywhere but the litter box? Please please please help me out. Im constantly bleaching my floors trying to get the smell out. She only seems to urinate in the floor at night, during the day she is a great kitty and uses her litter box. She is not locked up any time of the day, or night. Would like to know if any of you have advice on how to make her stop, also why she started doing this in the first place. Thank You all, Looking forward to some answers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Re: Kitten Urinates on my floor!!!! HELP!!!!

Difficult as she is good during the day.

Two things I would suggest - don't let her have run of the house at night, try and confine her in an area near her tray.

Also bleach has a strong amonia smell and this may encourage her to go in the area you are cleaning. Try to use a product that does not have ammonia in it.

One of my kittens still goes outside her tray if it has been used at all, so the other suggestion is that you have two trays, clean them both as late as possible and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

I agree with Calismum, super-clean box, confinement at night and no bleach ... it makes her think it's OK to wee there because of the smell. Let us know if that helps .

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
02-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #4

I would suggest this product if you have it in USA Wash and Get Off Cleaning Trigger Spray 500ml by Vapet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

we had similar problems with harris when we got him. Te vet suggested to us to have about 3 or 4 litter trays with different types of litter in them as it could be the feel of certain types that he didnt like. Through alot of prserverance and looking for signs that he wanted to go (const meowing and looking to get into corners) we just put him beside the tray and he eventually started using it. He got alot better h when he started investigating the trays and decided which type of litter he liked best and we havent had any probs since.

Hope this helps

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #6

mmmm... One of the calls I got from my friend about Cloud is that she was pooing everywhere. I picked up an extra tray as we went to get her, as there was a half chance we'd have to return to parents. Since I got home with her, 3 trays with her usual litter (not convinced she likes the kind friend uses) and no accidents so far... I know she prefers it if I clean up after she has been and likely choose somewhere else to go if I don't clean up quickly enough for her...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Has anything changed in the house recently? Cats are creatures of habit and often dont like any changes. Any new additions to the house? Animals, people, furnature? Any of these things can cause your kitty to stress.
Does your kitty strain or cry when peeing? Is there any sign of blood in the urine?
Cats dont suddenly stop using litter boxes unless they have reason to. Stress could be a factor and if it is then your kitty may also be suffering from stress related cystitis.
Often in these cases it is better to rule out any medical issues b efore simply assuming it is behavioural.
As others have said, bleech should not be used to clean any soiled areas as it will only encourage your kitty to keep peeing in that spot.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
05-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #8

First you need to THOROUGHLY clean all areas where your kitten has wee'd. As others have said, don't use bleach or any cleaner that contains ammonia, because cat urine contains ammonia, so it may only be encouraging your kitten to wee in the same places.

If you have wooden floors, the chances are that the urine will soak in, so you need to be extra vigilant about cleaning it up quickly. Use a biological detergent & hot water, wash the area thoroughly, leave to dry. Then, if your floors will take it (do a spot test somewhere that can't be seen) rub down the area with surgical spirit, leave to dry, then wash again with the biological detergent & leave to dry. This way you get rid of the proteins & fatty lipids that are in cat urine.

Any areas that have been soaked in urine may need to be replaced, but hopefully it hasn't gone this far yet.

Then, as others have said, get 2 or 3 litter trays, put a decent depth of fine-grained substrate in them. Place them in secluded, quiet places & keep watch so that you can direct your kitten to them, as soon as you see any signs of wanting to toilet. Your kitten should quickly get the hang of it & learn where the litter trays are. You can then remove any trays that she doesn't use.

Is she your only cat? If you have other cats, this could make a big difference to your kitten's toiletting problems. Similarly, if you have a dog, then you need to be very careful to make sure your kitten feels safe & secure to use the litter trays. Cats are vulnerable when toiletting so won't go if they feel "ambushed" by another pet.

Also give a lot of thought to where you locate the trays. This is often a big part of whether a cat will use a tray or not. Some cats have had a scare in a particular location ~(e.g. next to a dishwasher that suddenly starts up), or a busy thoroughfare in the house with people/children walking past. The trays should be in places where the cat is not disturbed & feels safe.

I hope you manage to sort it out, but feel free to ask questions or give more info.