Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
27-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #31

Re: Clicker training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
Well done . Sounds like you're progressing well.

Try delaying the click & using your voice to encourage her towards you, then click when she gets to you (provided that she still has the toy in her mouth). And be careful not to click as she drops the toy, otherwise she may start to think that it is the dropping of the toy that causes the click, & therefore the treat.

Also you could try walking backwards as she comes towards you so that she has to keep coming towards you to get the treat.

If nothing else it sounds like you've taught a pretty good recall
I should have thought about that as I use that to teach the pups to come to me when doing recall - thanks for that. Will keep at it and update now and then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #32

Quick update - Breagh now doing a complete retrieve.

She will do it for fun and will bring a small toy mouse or tied crisp packet to you to play retrieve. She returns the object to you and most of the time will drop it in your open hand. SHe will do this time after time until we wonder why we thought it would be fun to teach her this!

Izzi refuses to understand what a clicker is so I think I'll give in with her.

Now going to try and teach Breagh to sit!!! No idea if this will work or not but we'll have fun trying.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
04-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Quick update - Breagh now doing a complete retrieve.

She will do it for fun and will bring a small toy mouse or tied crisp packet to you to play retrieve. She returns the object to you and most of the time will drop it in your open hand. SHe will do this time after time until we wonder why we thought it would be fun to teach her this!

Izzi refuses to understand what a clicker is so I think I'll give in with her.

Now going to try and teach Breagh to sit!!! No idea if this will work or not but we'll have fun trying.
Brilliant . But I know what you mean when you wonder why you taught it!! It's the same with teaching a dog to give a paw ~ then you end up getting continually pawed at every time the dog wants attention

Teaching sit is IMO the easiest one. Just get the treat & hold it above the cat's nose, then move it backwards over the top of the cat's head. As the head/nose follows the treat, the cat automatically pops its bottom on the ground & hey presto, the cat is sitting so you an click & deliver the treat. Add the verbal comand of "sit" as you cat's bottom hits the ground. Then you can quickly fade out the treat & just use your hand, then click & give a treat from the other hand. Then try slightly delaying the treat, so the sit position is held for a bit longer (just a few seconds at a time).

Then when your cat is reliably sitting using your hand movement, try doing the same hand movement but from further away (e.g. with you standing up, or at a slight distance).

Best of luck ~ it sounds like you & Breagh are having fun learning together

Cats owned: tabby
31-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #34

very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing that info

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
31-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #35

I tried clicker training Dylan a couple of years back when we first adopted him He looked at the clicker like it was causing a bad smell and stalked off. We never have been able to clicker train him

My old cat Beauty we never did try, because she got scared of nearly everything and didn't like treats