Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #21

Re: Clicker training

Thanks for those helpful pointers wilbar. This sounds like it could be fun .......... or frustration!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #22

We tried some click and treat sessions with Izzi on SUnday. She is, I think, figuring out click means something nice.

Will try a bit with Breagh, although she is more interested in playing than listening to me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #23

Dont be disapointed if some cats dont respond, I never had any success with either Winston or Bernie but Eva was very keen.

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #24

I've ordered my clicker today - nothing ventured .........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #25

i recieved my clicker yesterday. Trying it out. First task is to see if i can get harris to come to his name using thenmove on to something a bit harder!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela81
i recieved my clicker yesterday. Trying it out. First task is to see if i can get harris to come to his name using thenmove on to something a bit harder!!
Remember to "charge" up the clicker first!

The way we teach a recall with dogs is to call the dog's name, then as soon as it looks at you, click, then encourage it to come towards you & deliver the treat when they arrive by your feet. This will, of course, only work if the cat has already learned the association that click = treat.

Catsey Veteran

26-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #27

Quick update - I was convinced that Izzi was 'getting it' but discovered what she got was an easy way to get treats or attention. Beyond that - not interested.

Breagh, as in most things, is a little more careful about what she wants to get involved with! However, we have progress.

Breagh is by far the most playful of the two and often runs around with a captured toy. I thought it would be fun to try and teach her to retrieve. She will come to a click for a treat so I started by throwing a toy and if she went and picked it up I'd do a click. She would drop the toy but I'd go to her with the reward.

We have progressed to I throw the toy, she goes to get it, I click, she trots back about half the distance and then drops it. This has been a few weeks but I am hopeful she'll eventually retrieve (obviously being a cat it'll be when it suits her!!!)

Any tips appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

26-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #28

My clicker has only just arrived. I had to wait 3 weeks!!!

Catsey Veteran

26-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
My clicker has only just arrived. I had to wait 3 weeks!!!
That's ages to wait. I hope that one of your two respond.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
27-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Quick update - I was convinced that Izzi was 'getting it' but discovered what she got was an easy way to get treats or attention. Beyond that - not interested.

Breagh, as in most things, is a little more careful about what she wants to get involved with! However, we have progress.

Breagh is by far the most playful of the two and often runs around with a captured toy. I thought it would be fun to try and teach her to retrieve. She will come to a click for a treat so I started by throwing a toy and if she went and picked it up I'd do a click. She would drop the toy but I'd go to her with the reward.

We have progressed to I throw the toy, she goes to get it, I click, she trots back about half the distance and then drops it. This has been a few weeks but I am hopeful she'll eventually retrieve (obviously being a cat it'll be when it suits her!!!)

Any tips appreciated.
Well done . Sounds like you're progressing well.

Try delaying the click & using your voice to encourage her towards you, then click when she gets to you (provided that she still has the toy in her mouth). And be careful not to click as she drops the toy, otherwise she may start to think that it is the dropping of the toy that causes the click, & therefore the treat.

Also you could try walking backwards as she comes towards you so that she has to keep coming towards you to get the treat.

If nothing else it sounds like you've taught a pretty good recall