Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
27-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #11

Re: Clicker training

i have been told about the clicker training by a work colleague but had never heard of anyone else using it. I have been thinking of trying it with harris for a few different training reasons, any advice given here on how to go about it would be great

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
28-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #12

I've been using a clicker with Ninja for a while (It was actually Wilbar's suggestion)

First I taught him to 'sit' then I taught him 'place' My issue was he makes a nuissance of himself whenever I'm cooking or eating. So i taught him that sitting in his place will get him rewards and pestering me won't. Works pretty well, though sometimes he forgets himself.

Years ago I clicker trained Sully to shake hands but it backfired and he started swiping at our hands with his paw when he wanted food. Oops!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #13

My mum trained Tim to give his paw & sit. Hes a bit of a clever clogs!! My mum by the way is 89!!

I got a free clicker some years ago & was amazed how fast the dogs caught on. Altho its good, they knew the commands anyway so i didnt continue with it but it would be interesting to see how folk get on with it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #14

It's really interesting to hear other members' stories about training their cats. Some great ideas.

I've always wondered why, on those animal training progs on TV, they say that such training should only be done with professional guidance. Is that just to keep them in work do you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #15

I did a little clicker training with my dearly departed Eva. She had some behaviour issues, sadly one of the main issues may have actually resulted to her illness and subsequent demise but no one could have known that at the time.
Any way, I clicker trained her to jump up when asked, to jump down when asked. She would give a high five and would come running in from the garden when I tapped the window.
A friend of mine at the time was so impressed that she began clicker training one of her cats and ended up building a small assault course for her, which she seemed to enjoy.

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #16

What age do you think would be the best time to start clicker training? Is it too late for Pip - 16 months or Kizzy who is between 2 and 3 years?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #17

I'd imagine almost any reasonable age, cats are smart and should soon associate the click and the treat. Didn't use a clicker but I did teach my childhood boy to sit up and beg ,,,,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #18

Found my book and it says the earlier you start the better, no more than 10 mins at a time and no age is too late - just might take longer.

So I intend to start on Saturday.

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #19

Do let us know how you and the kits get on CM. I'm off to look for a clicker!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #20

I'm really pleased to hear that several of you have tried or are going to try clicker training your cats.

I would strongly recommend that you read a good book on clicker training first, &, if possible, have a look at Karen Pryor's website for more info & watch some training videos.

Before you start using the clicker with your cats, it's a good idea to get used to the feel of the clicker & get your timing right. Try practising on other family members (get your kids or partner clicker tained into washing up or making you a cuppa). It will really pay off once you get started with your cats.

It helps to make sure your cat is reasonably hungry before you start if you're intending to use food treats as rewards. I don't mean starve them, but don't try training just after they've had a meal.

Use highly palatable treats in very small pieces, & don't use the treats at any other time. Small pieces of cooked chicken or ham or cheese are good. Don't use anything "messy" that the cat has to stop to lick up or take time chewing ~ by then the clicking part of the training may be overshadowed by the eating part.

Choose a time & place where you won't be disturbed & where any distractions for the cat are minimal. So a quiet room, no other people or animals present, no loud noises, sudden movements etc.

There's no upper age limit to training ~ if the cat is motivated to try, then go for it. Likewise the only lower age limit is that the kitten should be weaned &, on solid food, but personally I would wait until the kitten is at least a few months old, just because at very young ages, they are so motivated to practice predatory behaviour sequences, that you may struggle to compete. Plus if the kitten is a relatively new addition to your family, it would be better for it to get used to its surroundings, members of the family & a daily routine first.

Teaching a "sit" is probably the easiest trick to do first. You can lure the sit position by holding the treat at the end of the cat's nose, then move it backwards over the cat's head. As the cat follows the treat with nose & eyes, it should automatically drop it's bottom onto the ground, so you can click & release the treat the minute it sits.

Remember to "charge" up the clicker first by doing lots of clicks & treats over a few short sessions first, before you start training. The cat needs to build up the association of click = treat first.

You should also learn how to phase in the hand signal & verbal cue that will be associated with what you are asking the cat to do, & how you will phase out the clicker, in time.

Best of luck to all trying it for the first time ~ I hope it goes well but I'm happy to help if I can. Invariably things happen unexpectedly so don't be concerned if it doesn't go like the book says it should!