Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #11

Re: Hissy/Spitty....

Been trying to think back over the cats I've had. All the girls except Smudge would hiss and spit.

Of the boys only Sid hissed but that was when I first found him and he was so scared. Once he trusted me and 'moved in' I never heard him hiss again.

So, yes, on the whole I agree girls are hissier!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

Almost makes me want to get a girl to see hoow hissy they are

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #13

I felt I ought to clarify about Kizzy - she hisses at Pip sometimes but she has never hissed at people.

Cats owned: Moggy
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #14

My lad Apollo hissed and spat at the dog big time when they were first introduced (had to admire the bravery of this tiny kitten facing up to a big nosey puppy) but now they are great friends and no hissing/spitting.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
20-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #15

I've always had boys till recently when I got 2 girls as adult rescues. I've never heard the girls spit, either at each other, the dogs or at people. But the boys in the past hissed plenty as kittens but not as adults.

I'm not aware of any gender differences in the propensity to hiss ~ it would be interesting to do some research! But perhaps if we think about the reasons for hissing ~ fear, threat, keep away etc ~ then maybe females, being smaller, would perhaps feel more threatened? But then males are more territorial so would have plenty of reason to hiss at other cats.

I shall do some research myself & see if I can find anything.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
20-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #16

Beauty used to hiss at the dog over the fence and yowl at other cats, she only hissed a couple of times at people when we'd only had her a few days but once she was settled she was fine - no more hissing.

Dylan won't hiss, he yowls at other male cats but pretty much anything else he will purr at until he gives himself a sore throat through too much purring

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
20-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #17

Minnie hisses and spits.Its mainly at other cats but if your trying to get her in from the garden and she doesnt want to come in she will run of hissing and spitting. Right stroppy madam when she wants to be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #18

I have a girl now. Never heard her hiss ir spit. When she leaps across the room & lands on Tims tail, he sometimes hisses but think its because hes startled!