Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

insurance and holiday nightmare

I have been on the phone and computer all afternoon and have achieved nothing
First i wanted to get Kwame insured, we have Malaika with morethan and as there is a discount for a second pet i rang up expecting plain sailing. However it appears that it will cost me £5.00 more each month due to him being male, even with a discount. Not happy so have left it for now, can't find a similar policy at the moment.
Next i decided to look for a holiday, again i have had no sucess as yet and feel bogged down.
We quite fancy Northumbria, whitby or scotland, i want coastal, we need somewhere that will take two dogs , preferably an enclosed garden for about 7 days.
If anyone can reccomend anything i would be most grateful.
Although we have out preferancies we have open minds.
We don't realy want devon, cornwall as they are a bit too far for a week. We live in Lancashire ??????
Heeeellllllp

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Re: insurance and holiday nightmare

Hi Shelley - you feel as if you've been banging your head against a brick wall, don't you? I just get that feeling reading your post.

Why are dogs more expensive to insure than bitches??? Is it assumed that they will fight more???

Anyway - hope this link helps with your holiday booking - this company donates to PDSA if you book through them. I would definitely recommend Whitby - love it! Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

Thanks Angie,
will take another look later, i have looked at this site but didn't realise you could book through the pdsa.
I too love whitby.
I didn't realise it was more expensive to insure dogs than bitches untill today. we pay approx £11 per month for Malaika so i was expecting less with the discount.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Frustrating about the insurance! Good luck finding a pleasant place for your holiday .....

Catsey Veteran

19-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #5

further news on the insurance, just done a quote with tesco and it's more expensive to insure a dog than a bitch with them too, i can get it a couple of pence cheaper but the maximum vet fees is £4000 as opposed to £7000 with morethan.
will probs stick with them as it does seem the best.
re holiday, watch this space

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
I have been on the phone and computer all afternoon and have achieved nothing
First i wanted to get Kwame insured, we have Malaika with morethan and as there is a discount for a second pet i rang up expecting plain sailing. However it appears that it will cost me £5.00 more each month due to him being male, even with a discount. Not happy so have left it for now, can't find a similar policy at the moment.
Next i decided to look for a holiday, again i have had no sucess as yet and feel bogged down.
We quite fancy Northumbria, whitby or scotland, i want coastal, we need somewhere that will take two dogs , preferably an enclosed garden for about 7 days.
If anyone can reccomend anything i would be most grateful.
Although we have out preferancies we have open minds.
We don't realy want devon, cornwall as they are a bit too far for a week. We live in Lancashire ??????
Heeeellllllp
If you are interested in Self Catering my friend always uses cottages from the site below. Clean, comfortable and a lot of them take dogs, some say one but are ok if you explain well behaved etc. (she has 2) although a lot of them are for 5 or 6 adults there are a few for 2/3 adults.

http://www.hamstercottages.co.uk/

This is the one they stayed at last year - a bit isolated with great walks and a good hotel not far for meals if want a change.

http://www.hamstercottages.co.uk/pro...mmodation.aspx

Catsey Veteran

19-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

thanks CM, will take a look.
update re insurance, have stuck with morethan

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

Hmmm

Shelley, I have tried an used Sykes cottages before but never in the area's you are considering.....they do dog friendly too in my experience if they say one you need to just say you have two.....and a lot will accept..and that was with two SBT's...
I also never realised that dogs cost more than bitches to insure, I will try my insurance and see what happens if I put Sal in as a dog. Although I would have though bitches would cost more but if you look at exclusions the insurance does not include/cover breeding issure (from litters etc)

Would like a cottage in this country for just me and Sal maybe later in the year,
for a long weekend or midweek. I like to go April....(to late this year) or late Sept/Oct. Got a "dream/thought" of walking along the beach in a bit of a breeze in the rain with the dog....weird eh?
So looking for something although this time I may go with a hotel/rather than a cottage not sure, never tried a hotel before, and as Sal really would not care if a bomb dropped let alone be fused by the soming and goings in a hotel.

I am also looking for a holiday/holiday too, just not sure where want abroad. Still got Egypt with Katie is still on the back burner which could become a possible in Oct as long as the country is stable.

But looking for something....been to long since I was anywhere at all ...my eye is being drawn to America (West coast) or America (canyons etc) Africa (safari and bit of beach) or China......would also like a sun beach holiday.....Cyrpus/Greece......have always fancied Switzerland, Germany, Austria........lots of thoughts but no plans. Last few years has been frustrating too, with health issues but this year I am going.

See you have opened a can of worms here Shelley.......

Catsey Veteran

19-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #9

Karen, i asked the insurance man if there would be a reduction once they were spayed/neutered. He said he thought so.
All the holiday places sound wonderful Karen, once you've booked you can look foward to it.
I miss going to Kefalonia, we love it , but aren't ready to leave the dogs yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Most insurance companies give discount for second dog and if you do it online you also get a discount

I changed Harvey few months ago. Katie is on a yearly plan with Sainsburys. I wanted him on a life policy. Went online & got quote for £25.80 a month so rang them the next day & was quoted over £30 over the phone! Queried it & was told the online price is different to over phone quote ! Anyway he checked with his supervisor & they let me have it for the online quote which was decent i thought.

It does take you to shop around