Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #1

Egypt (part 4)

Up, up and away!!

We were picked up at 5.00am on a very warm morning, just before sunrise, and taken into Luxor where we were transferred to a boat to cross the Nile to the West Bank. On board there was tea and cake laid out for us in case we were hungry

As we approached the West Bank, the first balloons had started there ascent into the early morning sunrise....

A truck was waiting for us when reached the West Bank and we took a very bumpy journey into the desert. It was quite an eye opener as some of the 'houses' (if you could call them that) didn't even look fit enough for an animal to live in. It made you realise how poor some of these people were and how fortunate we were.

At last we reached our balloon and crew........ and made the undignified climb into the balloon Once everyone was aboard, the pilot ran through the safety instructions for taking off and landing.

Everyone ready?......

Phew....it's hot in here!

Looking up through the balloon...

We're up!

Valley of the Kings...

We went up to 2,000 feet but as there was very little wind that day we were unable to travel very far.

Many of the 'houses' we were above didn't even have roofs on them......some bright spark in our group shouted out that he could see someone getting out of the bath! They get little to no rain throughout the year in Luxor so I don't suppose it matters one bit if you have a roof over your head!

We began our descent after an hour in the sky and before long we were told to assume landing positions and crouch down. The final touchdown was a heavy bump on the ground with all the ground crew jumping on to the sides of the basket until we were out.

My opinion of it was that I wouldn't have missed it for the world........it was so peaceful and tranquil up in the air, there was no sense of movement at all but you could see for miles around.

Our final moment before we left in the truck was to experience the balloon crew singing and playing drums to us .................... then they came up to us with a big box with a sign on it saying "Tips for the crew"!! We just had to oblige! We were all given a signed certificate to say that we had made the flight.

We arrived back at the hotel at 7.45am, just in time to go in for our breakfast

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #2

Re: Egypt (part 4)

Spectacular Mags! That made shivers go up my back - those first few pictures. Makes my little trip over Sussex/Surrey countryside seem a little tame - the houses definitely had roofs and stables and swimming pools .......... !!!! How did you hubby get on???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #3

Superb pics; you're a brave woman to do that! It made my stomach feel queasy just thinking of being up in the air like that; sorry, but I really am a wimp!
I'm so glad you got to do it though, as obviously you really really enjoyed it!

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

I am not the brave sort Eileen, and I loved it - and that wasn't over that spectacular scenery! Sure you'd do it

Global Moderator

18-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Spectacular Mags! That made shivers go up my back - those first few pictures. Makes my little trip over Sussex/Surrey countryside seem a little tame - the houses definitely had roofs and stables and swimming pools .......... !!!! How did you hubby get on???
Before we climbed into the balloon we were all asked if anyone suffered with back or leg problems ......... no-one said a word I nudged my hubby who quietly whispered that he would be alright I did feel slightly concerned when we had to go through a practice run of the landing instructions though ........ as you told me before, the basket is divided into sections and was not very big and there was no way he could bend his knee so that his head was below the basket, so......... I squashed myself as small as I could into the corner and he was able to bend one knee and keep his other leg stretch out over to my side. I'm sure he only went up in the balloon because he knew how much I wanted to do it .......awwwww!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Before we climbed into the balloon we were all asked if anyone suffered with back or leg problems ......... no-one said a word I nudged my hubby who quietly whispered that he would be alright I did feel slightly concerned when we had to go through a practice run of the landing instructions though ........ as you told me before, the basket is divided into sections and was not very big and there was no way he could bend his knee so that his head was below the basket, so......... I squashed myself as small as I could into the corner and he was able to bend one knee and keep his other leg stretch out over to my side. I'm sure he only went up in the balloon because he knew how much I wanted to do it .......awwwww!
That is so sweet......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #7

Mags - that's lovely, both the flight - the VotK is truly stunning from the air, and your husband's sentiments about accompanying you.

I still don't think I would do it, but it's great to see the pictures

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #8

Mags, wonderful pics. And my youngest daughter Hayley is loving them as she did Egypt in her school last term. She wants to know if you have any pics of the pyramids lol!

Catsey Veteran

18-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #9

So glad you managed to share the experience Mags! It wouldn't have been the same if you'd had to have gone alone. I love the idea of storing up great memories with a loved one, things to talk about over cocoa when you're unable to do those sort of things because of being 150!

Global Moderator

18-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Mags, wonderful pics. And my youngest daughter Hayley is loving them as she did Egypt in her school last term. She wants to know if you have any pics of the pyramids lol!
Glad Hayley enjoyed the pics Alex ........ I'm afraid we were too far away from the pyramids this time We did see them about 10 years ago but that was in my pre-digital days If I can scan them, tell Hayley I'll put them on here for her..