Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #21

Re: Kitten Food for kidney patients

Is he vomiting at all or drooling excessively?
Anything else out of the ordinary that may seem small and insignificant can sometimes be very relevant indeed.
I do hope he feels better very very soon and starts to eat again. xxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ginger Moggy and Tabby
19-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #22

Hi Elaine

No he's neither vomiting nor drooling. Apart from the lack of appetite everything else appears to be normal.

Ann

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #23

Maybe he just needs a little steroid or food stimulant to pick him up again.
I have everything crossed for his vet appointment on Tuesday xxx Please let us know what the vet says and how Tigs gets on. In the mean time please give him a big snuggly cuddle from me xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #24

He is stunning, a lovely lad, you know I had a feeling he was a ginger Tom. spooky. And he's got a baggy belly too

I was wondering how you were getting on and Elaine beat me to it. I wonder if he just ain't to hungry - if your weather is as bad a ours maybe he just is not hungry - but I remember Cleo went off her food and it was in fact tooth trouble. May be worth checking out, let us know. Karen

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
19-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #25

hi and a warm welcome to catsey i really cant help out there so i do hope everyones advice has helped you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
20-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #26

He's scrummy Ann!!!!!

I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Catsey Veteran

20-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #27

Hope all goes well tomorrow xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
21-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #28

Awww - Elaine - that's lovely

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ginger Moggy and Tabby
21-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #29

Hi All

Firstly, thank you so much Elaine for that lovely picture of Tigs.

We've just got back from the vets. I was shocked to learn that Tigs has lost .7 kg in a month. The vet thinks that Tigs' kidneys are inflamed but he's given him an appetite stimulant (steroid) as well as another injection to try to reduce the inflammation and we have to go back on Thursday.

I told my vet about the wonderful advice you've all given me on this website and that I appreciate that Tigs' condition can't be cured. However, the vet told me, without me asking, that he doesn't think now is the time to let Tigs go. We also talked about diet and he told me how bland the senior cat meat is for cats.

As soon as we got back home Tigs went straight for his food bowl and had some more of the fish and rice I'm now giving him. I don't think for one moment that the steroids work that quickly...

I'll let you all know what happens Thursday.

Ann

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #30

Aww bless Tigs xxx
Sounds like you have a nice vet and one that you can talk things over with which is excellent.
I have been talking with another woman for most of this afternoon who's cat has been diagnosed with CRF, long and very complicated one but any way, I was talking with her about trying to encourage her cat to start eating again, so here are another few tips just in case you may need them.
Catnip, sprinkled ontop of some food may also help as an apetite stimulant, provided you have a cat that loves catnip that is.
Egg whites are full of vitamin B and can be mixed with a little of what ever food you are feeding. Make sure the egg white is cooked as uncooked it contains avin which in the eggs raw state doesnt allow the cat to absorb the B vits but when cooked the avin is destroyed.
Hills a/d, prescription food for convalessing cats and very rich in liver. Not good for a CRF cat to be fed this often but may well help the cat get its apetite back. It is of a squishy consistancy and so can be watered down with a little boiled water easily and placed into a syringe in order to help assist feed if necessary.
Just thought I'd mention these now incase I forget about them again.
As always I wish you both all the very best. Stick around Ann and keep us informed as to how you and Tigs get on.
Elaine xxx