Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
06-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #21

Re: neutering questions!

When my Jason had his "bits" removed, he didn't have a lampshade collar thing but he didn't inspect/wash the area either so he didn't need it.

My vet "gave" me some of the Hills as it was more easily digested post-operatively than standard food. Well that's what he told me anyway, I'm sure the price was hidden in my bill somewhere, nothing comes free!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
06-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #22

Glad everything went ok with the boys today!

It is normal for the vets to prescribe you a special diet for the next few days.

After an anaesthetic, the digestive system can become slightly upset and make the cat feel rather sick (much the same as with humans!). The Hills i/d is a highly digestable food which is ideal for after an operation.

At my vets, we advise feeding a bland diet such as boiled chicken/boiled white fish after an anaesthetic, or give our clients the option of having a prescription diet such as Hills i/d or a/d, or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control.

Over the next couple of days, you are better to feed smaller meals than normal and more often, as it is easier on their digestive system.

Just be aware that they may vomit on their first evening home as an after effect of the anaesthetic. This is nothing to worry about but it should not persist.

The effects of the anaesthetic (drowsiness/shivering) will wear off in the next 48 hours. Just make sure they have somewhere nice and comfortable to curl up in this evening.

Catsey Senior

06-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #23

Also try to discourage any licking at the wound site. Although they do not have any stitches, they can still make it sore and risk possible infection by licking eccesively. Cats carry an awful lot of bacteria in their mouths, which is quite often why wounds become infected.

Vets do not normally give Buster Collars as standard after castration, but I would highly advise getting one from your vet if they are licking.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #24

That's interesting, Amber. Maybe customs are different on this side of the Pond; my girls never had to eat special food either. But then again, it has been quite a while since I had a cat in to be neutered; perhaps it's different now......

Catsey Senior

06-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #25

All vets have different opinions, but the majority in my experience advise a bland diet or prescription food after anaesthesia / sedation

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
That's interesting, Amber. Maybe customs are different on this side of the Pond; my girls never had to eat special food either. But then again, it has been quite a while since I had a cat in to be neutered; perhaps it's different now......
Nope, none have mine have ever needed a special diet following anaesthesia either eileen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #27

All of mine, boys and girls, were bouncing around quite normally, eating like little pigs and didn't show any anaesthesia groggyness..??? Except my Siamese boy, Su-ling. who played up the operation for all it was worth, bless the little ham! He walked up the stairs to the bedroom oh so slowly as if he were in great pain...he knew how to push mom's buttons! He got extra TLC, extra treats, and the first upstairs litter tray and water bowl...I was well trained...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
07-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #28

Denis drank lots of water following but no special diet. He left little drops of blood wherever he sat for the first day or so but he was chirpy and no prbobs X

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #29

thanks for the responses everyone. i have been keeping a close eye on the incision sites on both boys and everything seems fine but i will watch for infection.

they are eating normally now,i did start them with the hills i/d food and slowly weaned them back onto their normal. one of the boys had the runs once but other then that both have been fine

thanks again for all the replies-i will be coming back to read over this thread when the kittens go for their neutering in a few months!