Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
18-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Parsnips?

Our garden is a real mess & although we want to get it straight, we are being realistic & have decided to concentrate on finishing the house this year. So we have no big garden plans for the immediate future, but have decided to do some growing. We are going to do some potatoes, have got these & John is doing (?) something with them before planting! We shall do beans, tomatoes, strawberries & John suggested that we should give Parsnips a go. I love parnsips & could eat them every day! So anyone got any parsnip tips? Dinahsmum?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

Re: Parsnips?

Sow now!

I make a very shallow trench and fill it with compost, moisten that and sow the seeds in there, covering with compost too.
They take ages to germinate, so the old boys say sow a few radish along the row, as a marker for where to find your parsnips.

If your soil is stoney they will fork and you'll get two or three tailed parsnips, but who cares? If you've got the space and want to have a go - then go for it!

Catsey Veteran

18-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Sow now!

I make a very shallow trench and fill it with compost, moisten that and sow the seeds in there, covering with compost too.
They take ages to germinate, so the old boys say sow a few radish along the row, as a marker for where to find your parsnips.

If your soil is stoney they will fork and you'll get two or three tailed parsnips, but who cares? If you've got the space and want to have a go - then go for it!
Thanks - I knew you would be the best parsnip advisor!
Space is certainly not an issue, our one problem is keeping the chickens away.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #4

Parsnip advisor to the stars!
What a title - I could get to like that.
Good luck with the chooks. One of my allotment neighbours has chicken in her garden at home and is always complaining - she says it looks like Beirut!

Catsey Veteran

18-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Our garden is generally messy at present so the chooks kicking about in it, doesn't really matter, but what we may do, is use a large sectioned off area (which used to be a chicken run a few years ago) to grow the stuff in, like a little allotment and they have the run of the rest of the garden.