Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #11

Re: Bird Netting???

That's interesting about the netting as we were considering getting loads for our fruit shrubs and (at some point) dwarf fruit trees at the alotment. I don't fancy it (a) because I don't like the idea of birds suffering and (b) with my phobia I certainly don't like the idea of having to free one - knowing my luck we'd get a misguided swan a bit off track from the river, trying to nab our fruits

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgirl
I gave up with tomatoes because of the squirrels! They'd pick them JUST before I would have (or even green sometimes), take one bite out then leave them! GRRRRRRRR!
May try some other veggies this year... but tomatoes ONLY at work (we have a tiny garden here) where there are NOT squirrels, only deer!, to worry about.
I am SO glad to read your squirrel remarks! Sometimes I wonder if my UK friends here think I exaggerate about the destruction they do!!

Catsey Veteran

09-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
That's interesting about the netting as we were considering getting loads for our fruit shrubs and (at some point) dwarf fruit trees at the alotment. I don't fancy it (a) because I don't like the idea of birds suffering and (b) with my phobia I certainly don't like the idea of having to free one - knowing my luck we'd get a misguided swan a bit off track from the river, trying to nab our fruits
Oh Yola, I shouldn't laugh as I know you really do have a feather phobia, but the mental picture of you and a swan entangled in your netting...

Not to worry, I'm sure swans are not fruit eaters...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #14

I had a thought, could you not make a light wooden frame big enough for the bush and stretch the netting tightly over it and tack it to the wood to make a sort of netting cage if that makes sense? That would keep critters out but they wouldn't become entangled?

If this isn't already an invention i'm getting patent on it.

Catsey Veteran

09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I had a thought, could you not make a light wooden frame big enough for the bush and stretch the netting tightly over it and tack it to the wood to make a sort of netting cage if that makes sense? That would keep critters out but they wouldn't become entangled?

If this isn't already an invention i'm getting patent on it.
Sounds good, Random. unfortunately I'm not a DIY type.... hate to think what it would look like if I tried it! Don't know if you have the expression "hammer mechanic" there...means a person who's utterly inept ........