Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #1

Commitment

I was just thinking (for obvious reasons) of the commitment we give to our pets. In many cases we can expect them to be in our homes longer than our children .............. amazing thought, but true.

If I get kittens in the spring, and they live out their allotted 20+ years (which seems amazing, but isn't), I should almost think of putting their welfare in my will

Don't know if that has cheered or depressed me ........ something to think about though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #2

Re: Commitment

But think of the love you get back in return.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #3

I have thought about this a lot DM, and have come to the decision, I will not take on another puppy or kitten again, If anything happens to my dogs or cats, I would take on an older rescue...
I think of my young animals, I will be a good age when they reach 15!!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #4

I would love a pup but for the same reason don't think it fair......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
18-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #5

I know of someone that has left her cats to someone in her will with a sum of money to comfortably see their lives out. Should anything happen to her.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #6

Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
18-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #7

[quote=Kazz]Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

That's not old. I wouldn't worry about it. It must be lovely to have your cats for such a long time. I wish Toby had lived a bit longer, but at least I know he had more love in his 10 months then a lot of poor animals have in a long lifetime.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #8

No you are right. 60's isn't old.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

Karen
I'm worrying about looking at approaching 80

I'm so pleased I persuaded the OH to get the puppy after we lost our old rescue lurcher last summer. She half killed us!!!!!!!! - in the nicest possible way. You forget just how much hard work/disruption to your comfortable life it is! I hope to get kittens next year and that's it. Any other animal that comes into our house (and I hope there may be some) will be a mature rescue.
Kazz, I agree with you - couldn't expect anything but a kitten to cope with a sbt! It would be tough on a mature rescue.

Catsey Veteran

18-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #10

Yeah and I've got two of them SBT's I mean