Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #11

Re: Bedwetting alarms

Yola, I am sorry this is an issue for Dominik. My friends son had the same problem so I have phoned her and had a chat. This is a summarry of what she has offered in advice. She said some is by her own experience, some from others she spoke to and some that she found out after he stopped (about aged 8 .)
- as an alarm only works once the bladder starts to empty it won't stop the actual wetting and may cause the child to worry about wetting even more. There is thoughts from some that it should not be used on kids under 7 as they may not understand it won't make them stop. Monique had one (the type that goes into underpants) she's not convinced it did much to help in the long term.
- plenty cuddles and reassurance that it is ok and quite common. Jamie thought he was the only boy his age that had this problem.
- obviously waterproof sheets
- encourage plenty drinking throughout the day to help develop bladder control. But avoid any drinks with caffiene as this is diuretic. Theory is that his bladder is saying 'I can't hold all this' when it is not really full.
- During the day, try to encourage him to hold on until he is fit to burst and then a bit more. This is to help train the brain to recognise the feeling of a full bladder and that it can hold on and stretch the bladder. Moni said this worked quite well.
- explain how urine is made and the bladders role in storing it (Monique thought this a bit daft at the time but was surprised it seemed to help)
- make sure he's not scared to get up in the dark, leave a low light on.
- Washable absorbant pants were more acceptable to Jamie than 'nappies'. (meant less washing of bedding)
- lastly she said it is important to tell you that you are not alone in this and he will grow out of it - sends you lots of support and agrees changing beds and washing sheets every day is a real pain

Hope some of this is of help or at least support for you both.

Good luck

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #12

Yola
If he has been dry and doing well I would be more inclined to see if there is an underlying problem.
Is he having problems at school that he's not telling you about. Does he get on well with the teacher ect. Sounds to me like that could be a problem other than drinking too much ect
If he's not back at school yet is he worried about changing class/teacher?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #13

Kim, Fran, Calismum . . . thanks all so much for your input. It's really valuable reading of others who have had direct experience of this. I think what I will do is hold off with the alarm at the moment (OH is adamant he wants to get it so I shall print of some of these posts to persuade him otherwise) as I have concerns over it - primarily over Dominik being startled awake and getting more upset. Instead I will place a large towel under the sheet (he already has a mattress protector) to absorb most of the spillage.

We are very careful not to stress or stigmatise him over this, and he doesn't touch fizzy drinks . . .I don't have them in the house! He is the driving force behind not wanting to wear the nightime nappies, I think he equates it with Sebi and his nappies and being a baby.

I like the idea of 'bladder training'. I can see him going for this . . . we can play a game of getting his wee to behave

Thank you all once again!

Catsey Veteran

04-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #14

Yola think we were both posting in this thread at the same time.

Catsey Veteran

04-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #15

Yes, I think we must have Jac! He's back at school today. No real stress issues about it, seems very happy to be back (which is good). I think maybe the different people looking after him in the last few weeks (my brother, my Mum, his older 1/2 brother) may have upset his routine a bit but not enough to cause significant upset . . . I hope!

Catsey Veteran

04-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #16

The thing is Yola, what we don't think is stressful is to them. Possibly hold off for a wee bit. Don't make a big deal out of mishaps. I'm sure he will return to normal. If I'm wrong I will do your laundry

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #17

I am sure he will be fine Yola, he is still quite young and I think you are right not to use the alarm, perhaps only as a last resort. I can't remember exactly, but I believe my nephew was a lot older than Dominik when my sister used it. Please keep us updated. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #18

Yola - forgot to mention that Moni said Jamie was also a very heavy sleeper and she thought that contributed a great deal to the problem.

He was (still is) the type of kid who could fall asleep in the car and be carrie dinto the house, undressed and put to bed without even stirring.

Link to the pants he wore http://www.ericshop.org.uk/pants-continence-male.asp

CM

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #19

I had a good look round that ERIC site yesterday CM, it's very good . . . I noticed the pants. If we have continuing problems I might invest in some. As it was, I laid the towel under his yesterday but thankfully it was an uneccessary precaution.

However, I have woken him now twice at about 11 (when I was off to bed) to ask him if he needed a pee. Although he didn't wake up properly it was sufficient to rouse him enough to be aware of bladder pressure and both times he said no. And both times he woke up dry!

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #20

Well done. He may have just been going through a bad patch.
I hope he continues to be dry.