Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
13-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Gym, Exercise and diets :)

Hi everybody,

I thought that perhaps we could use this thread to track all the various different regimes we are all following

I am trying to get to the gym at least 3 times a week, ideally 5 times. I have been going since last August.

Recently I have upped the intensity of my gym visits. I am now trying to do at least 500 calories per visit, and ideally 1,000.

Today was just over 1,000 calories, this involved 50 mins on the cross trainer, 20 mins on the recumberant bike, and 20 mins on the stepper.

Diet - I have tried to cut down on my fat intake by having low fat mayo, skimmed milk etc. No sweeteners unless I am at home. So at work I am drinking black coffee or green tea. Also trying to eat loads of salad.

Body fat has gone from 31 to 27 in the last couple of weeks, ideally I would like it to be low 20's. I am also losing 1-2lbs a week, so not losing massive weight per week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

Re: Gym, Exercise and diets :)

If I had known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself years ago
I am very impressed with your fitness regime, well done you for your hard work and commitment. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #3

PMSL Elaine! It can be done . . . about 3 weeks of home video exercise work and a couple of gym visits and I can feel at least a couple of cms has dropped from both waist/tummy and thighs.

During my assessment I found out body fat was 36, weight 76 (kilos) but my lung capacity was at 93% (average for my age is 81% - must be all the stairs I have in my house), and my grip strength is equal in both hands and about 15-20% up on the average woman's grip - which makes me a bit of a brute apparently

I have a rather full schedule as we run our own business and although I'm home with the boys by 5pm, the dinner/homework/bedtime routine takes a lot of time. OH does his best to get home before 6.30 and if he does it means I can go to the gym. For instance, I was going to go tonight but he didn't get back until nearly 7.30 so it'll have to be tomorrow instead now! I intend to managed between 2 and 3 visits a week including one Saturday morning 'yogalates' session.

I'm going to book a follow up assessment for this coming Friday where they will develop my programme. I know where I've stuck to it in the past weight and body fat have dropped dramatically.

Diet-wise, I'm trying to cut out as much wheat (not hard as OH has a gluten intollerance) and dairy as I can. I actually like soya milk and dislike cow's milk so that's not a problem. My weakness is cheese

Emma - are you not low-carbing/Atkins-ing any longer? I know you had great results with that (as I did).

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #4

Yola, I dropped nearly a stone low carbing again, but found that it had a too negative effect on me going to the gym, I just couldn't get the balance right.

My weight is 10 stone 7lbs and ideally I would like to get to 9 stone 13lbs or slightly less. Low carbing I did manage to get to just over 9 stone but I was thin but not defined. This time I want to concentrate on getting fit and toned and then slim down further if needed. I will therefore adjust my diet to one which is more low carbing once I have reached a weight of 10 stone.

At present I have 7 stone of muscule mass which I would like to keep.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
13-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #5

What a great thread.

I am following this fantastic excercise plan for beginners, http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...ining_plan.htm although I currently have a poorly knee so I've had to stop doing any form of excercise / walking until my knee is better. I was really starting to feel the benefits of it too.

I am trying to eat a balanced / healthy diet, although I can very easily stray from it at the mo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #6

Wow, I'm really impressed Emma & Yola - well done!! I hope to start going back to the gym regularly, but at present my only exercise is keeping busy (I hardly ever seem to sit down these days) and walking the dogs. Very de-motivated diet wise at the mo and weight has crept up again.

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #7

Well what is important is that we all keep as active as possible, wether it is the gym, walking the dogs, exercise tapes etc.

Having a job that is based in the office, sitting at a desk all day just made me realise that I do very little exercise, trying to DO something each day is now very important to me. When I cannot go to the gym (usually due to working late) I am doing my exercise DVD.

Last week I was very good, gym 5 times, exercise DVD 1 day and a day off.

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #8

Interestingly today I saw an add for a TV programme (not sure which one) that stated at more than 2 million American's are now over 40 stone?? I find that quite incredible, I wonder what the figure would have been 10 years ago?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #9

40 stone??? Are you sure? That's seriously scary.

I agree about the 'any exercise' thing. When Dominik was at nursery and my office was in town I used to 'power walk' him down and then go to work. And boy did I loose weight and tone up quick. Moving the office out to the country meant I used the car all the time (and still do), which has meant my exercise levels have dropped dramatically.

This time, I'm planning on taking it slow and steady. I'll reduce the amount I eat generally and specifically the rubbish (chocolate mainly) I put away. I have a 6-9 month toning/weight loss goal. No miracle summer slimming because it always ends up back on + interest!

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #10

Yes apparently Yola,

See this article - the bit titled half ton mum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...lit/bvtv02.xml

I agree with the slow and steady route, losing weight with low carbing was great but I wasn't fit, just slim. Now I want to be fit even if it means being heavier than I want to.