Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
09-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #11

Re: Overpopulation of cats - What Can We Do?

When I lived in Melbourne I had to register Kuta (my only cat at the time) with the Council there. I've just been looking at their website for some inspiration. They also do a neutering scheme, giving discounts for neutering.

Maybe we need to try and get the various local authorities/councils in the UK to start something like this? How would we go about that?

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info...&pa=536&pg=537

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info...&pa=536&pg=539

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
09-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #12

omg that is exactly what I was wanting to happen! Thanks so much for the links - you are brilliant!

so it is possible - I don't have time right just now to look over the links in great depth but what a great model to start with!

I think we need to get in touch with our MPs to make this happen?

Catsey Veteran

09-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #13

It's definitely possible if they can do it in Melbourne!!!!

Do you think that's the next step then? Create a petition and take it to all our local MP's?? I have no idea how these things work

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
09-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #14

tbh me meither - I have never done something like this before.

I think the first thing would be to do some research. We need figures of the exact problem - steps we are going to take to reach our goals - costs etc I think that would be the first thing.

The website that Yola suggested is a great starting point as well for just getting the initial message about spay and neuter out there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #15

Petition to Downing Street?
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/
Messages to all pet fora and other places mentioned - vets, clubs, etc - requesting members to sign?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
09-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #16

Good idea in theory but what worries me is that lots and lots of breeders will get very rich as there will be no other source of cats and I hate people making money out of breeding animals be they cat, dog, horse or whatever.

Just before anyone says that good breeders only get back the money they put into the kittens/puppies - example - 16 great dane puppies by £400 work that one out.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Good idea in theory but what worries me is that lots and lots of breeders will get very rich as there will be no other source of cats and I hate people making money out of breeding animals be they cat, dog, horse or whatever.

Just before anyone says that good breeders only get back the money they put into the kittens/puppies - example - 16 great dane puppies by £400 work that one out.
16 great dane puppies x 13 weeks of being fed/watered, all vaccinated, 16 puppy packs, all wormed and de-flead.............that's a lot of money.

I have to say that I agree that a good breeder will be lucky to break even. I don't know so much about dogs - but with kittens it's an awful lot of food and litter and the vets bills etc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #18

So why do breeders breed if they make no money out of it? There has to be a valid reason why they do it - and money is the only thing I can think of.

I think a licence and all kittens neutered before leaving the breeder would be a good start.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #19

I'll admit that some breeders are in it for the alleged money, Donna, but we genuinely aren't all like that.

I want to breed to better the Ragdoll breed and produce some high quality kittens that will hopefully do well in the cat-show world, one of which I will keep and show.

I'm not by any means a big-scale breeder and nor do I want to be. I think I will only allow Lily to have one more litter and then she'll be neutered.

I agree that a licence for keeping pets is a good idea and I have no objection to neutering before rehoming kittens - although there is some debate about neutering early.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I'll admit that some breeders are in it for the alleged money, Donna, but we genuinely aren't all like that.

I want to breed to better the Ragdoll breed and produce some high quality kittens that will hopefully do well in the cat-show world, one of which I will keep and show.

I'm not by any means a big-scale breeder and nor do I want to be. I think I will only allow Lily to have one more litter and then she'll be neutered.

I agree that a licence for keeping pets is a good idea and I have no objection to neutering before rehoming kittens - although there is some debate about neutering early.
I didnt realise you were a breeder Charlie, but am interested to learn. How do you make a breed better? Are breeders mainly there for showing animals?

I will admit it is not a world I have ever looked into so would be interested to know more.

I do love Ragdolls, and would one day like to own a pedigree, so understand there is a need for a certain amount of breeding.