Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #11

Re: Compulsory microchipping of cats and dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Because I don't think people/breeders would get their pets done, yes the responsible ones would, but then they probably already do, the others wouldn't & how could they enforce it?
I do see a lot of complications with enforcing this and it may never be a 100% failproof but I think it could be the way forward..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
27-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #12

Oh Yes, it's the way forward & has got to be a step in the right direction. But it's the irresponsible people that won't get them done & it's their pets that will cause problems, trouble, go missing etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
27-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #13

Look at the last time they tried to bring in new legislation with the PBT, to ban the breed. Things were put in place, sensible precautions to ban the breed in this country, lots of people had theirs neutered & registered & microchipped, but lots of people didn't - instead they continued breeding them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #14

I think in theory its a great idea but, as with dog licences in the past, impossible to police.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
Shadowdh is Male
29-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #15

I agree in principle with the microchipping... every animal at point of sale (or rescue) should have it... but I dont agree with enforcement of neutering or fees... (although I do believe that responsible owners who arent interested in breeding should get their pets neutered)...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 ginger (dsh) 1 male 1 female
15-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #16

deff a good idea, less strays and less petnapping becuse you details would be on the data base connected to the chip rather than on the actual animal
ATD xxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
19-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #17

It would most certainly make my job easier if all pets were microchipped! The number of stray animals, cats in particular, that we are never able to find their owners makes me dispear sometimes! I think microchipping should be compulsory for all pet owners, it should be illegal to not chip. I think breeders should microchip puppies and kittens before they are sold on to their new homes, but then if this was enforced only the 'good' breeders would follow this.
If we trace/find the owner of a non chipped pet then we make the owners pay for microchipping before allowing them to leave with their pet, some winge about the £20 it costs, we politely explain that is nothing compared to the £50 to get it back out of the cat and dog shelter or the possible £2000 fine for the animal having no ID on if the dog warden had picked it up!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
22-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #18

well the vet can't find the microchips in my cats - and I haven't had my dogs done for this reason but they do wear ID tags.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
22-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #19

Microchips dont disappear?! They can on rare occassions move around the body, has your vet scanned their whole body? Including all the way down the legs? Very strange! Were they chipped with you? If you were told they were chipped and your vet cant find them maybe they werent?! Do you have paperwork? Sorry all the questions, I just cant imagine not being able to find a chip if there is definately one placed =)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
22-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #20

Hi, think compulsory mc is the way forward but cannot see how it would be inforced. The biggest problem with MC strays is owners not keeping there contact details up to date, or the chip isn't registered in this country thanks to the pet travel scheme this is quite common.
As for chips not functioning well call me neurotic but i do have my own chip reader & check everybody's chip monthly, Brogan was chipped at 5mths & up to 2yrs of age chip was present & reading well then suddenly no beep aaah, had her x-rayed - no chip so were did that go? nobody had an explanation, she was re chipped & a yr later it is still ok.
Maybe if the cost of chipping was included in vaccinations & was done at the 1st vacc it might help as i think most people seem aware that pups & kits need at least one set of jabs ? but then again.
X K