Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #1

The Mystery Rose!

I have had a Maidens Blush rose for years. Two Summers ago when I had the landscapers in the garden grubbing out the invasive bamboo and cat briar, it unfortunately was cut down. Last year I was pleased to see it was coming back from the roots, but didn't bloom. This year it was showing buds, and I was rather taken aback to see they were dark red...Maidens Blush is a pale shell pink. And what bloomed yesterday is a strange red rose I'd never seen, nor planted!

The only thing I can think of is that it germinated from a bird-dropped seed (they eat the rose hips). It wasn't from the understock coming up; Maidens Blush wasn't grafted, it was an own roots rose. But isn't it weird to come up in the same spot? It's a pretty little thing, don't suppose anyone can identify it, can they?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
15-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Re: The Mystery Rose!

Oh I do love this game!!

It looks like a semi double?

Is the pic a good representation of the colour? How fragrant is it? Are the leaves the bright green I can see in the background? Is it quite a heavy bloom or does it get held quite well?

And........ how amazing to have a new rose as a surprise gift.

Catsey Veteran

15-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #3

No, the color is a bit off: in that pic it makes it look like the color of old Paul's Scarlet Climber. It's much darker,semi-double, not fragrant, and the leaves are just a normal green. That's the tradescantia foliage in the background...they are sort of taking over the area, but they're so pretty I don't grub them out. I suspect it's not a named variety but a bee cross seed. Whatever it is, I like it!

Catsey Veteran

15-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
No, the color is a bit off: in that pic it makes it look like the color of old Paul's Scarlet Climber. It's much darker,semi-double, not fragrant, and the leaves are just a normal green. That's the tradescantia foliage in the background...they are sort of taking over the area, but they're so pretty I don't grub them out. I suspect it's not a named variety but a bee cross seed. Whatever it is, I like it!
I wondered if it could be a cross - a new variety -

Have looked thru' my two Rose books and any that look like it are described as fragrant.

Going for bath and bed now but may have a 'google' tomorrow as I don't think, given the forecast there will be much gardening going on

Have you had a look yourself?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #5

How lovely Eileen! First thought was that it was the scion, but as you say your previous rose was not a grafted variety, can't be that. If it were a bird dropped seed, that would suggest another similar rose in your neighbourhood - I presume you haven't seen anything like it?

Catsey Veteran

15-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #6

No, Angie, haven't seen a similar one: I do have two very dark almost purple roses, and there is a lovely dark red down the alley a block away but that one has less petals and very noticeable golden stamens. This pic taken indoors is a bit dark, but the color is truer to the Mystery Rose. I suspect that's what it's going to be called!

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #7

Couldn't see anything remotely like it - from now I shall consider it to be 'Eileen's Rose'.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Lol, CM, I have a rose called for want of a name, Carolyn's Rose! It was a volunteer coming up in her front yard by the lilac and, as she didn't want it and was going to dig it up I took it. This was years ago and it's still going strong. It's a little floribunda-type; it's the other pink roses in the bouquet pic...not the large one in the center which is Souvenier de la Malmaison.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #9

What a pretty colour. I like red and pink roses.

I'm a newbie to roses. Have got an arch with a climber each side - high hopes and zephirine drouhin. I got a bargain pair of Arthur Bell in the pound shop and they are comng away nicely. Also for birthday last year was given birthday wishes and queen mother.

I have an old one at the gate, don't know what it is, will post pics if it flowers this year.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #10

Oooh, pics of them all, please! I love roses.