Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
06-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Calling all cake makers!

My cake and bun tins are all terribly old and really showing their age. They don't clean easily, not even in the dish washer. The so-called non-stick ones don't work anymore, so.........

I was thinking of buying some new silicone ones, they can go in the freezer, microwave oven and the normal oven and have a temperature range of -40C to 240C. They're lightweight so when they drop on my head from the top shelf of my tall cupbooard, they're not going to hurt

But, are they too good to be true? has anyone tried these? Because they're flexible, you have to use them on a baking tray but I don't see that as a problem. They are rather expensive but I'm going to have to replace my old ones anyway. Any opinions?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

Re: Calling all cake makers!

Never tried them but I'll also be interested to hear from anyone who has.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Hi MrsH - I am afraid I can't comment on the silicone bakeware, but I have recently bought new non stick bakeware from this company and have no complaints. The products have a good professional feel to them - but they probably would hurt if they dropped on your head! However I see the company does do silicone cake tins etc. and I have no reservations with recommending the company. I have found their delivery to be very quick.

http://www.cookshop.uk.com/index.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go and look at their site.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

I'd also be inetersted to hear if anyone can recommend silicone. They do seem too good to be true, including being collapsible/telescopic and thus not being totally unwieldy in the cupboard.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #6

I have used silicone muffin pans and had great success with them... BUT.... (there's always a but)...i do use paper patty pans in them because i like to freeze the muffins and i find that they thaw better when they are in the paper patty pans...
I do have a silicone slab pan... which i use for making lamingtons and its works fine... but again... when you make lamingtons you are cutting up the cake... dipping it in chocolate or raspberry jelly (depending on what flavour you are making) and then in the the coconut...so the surface of the cake isn't visible...
what i have found with the silicone pans is they cook the cake evenly but you dont get that ever so slightly crisp base and sides in silicone that you get in a metal pan