Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #11

Re: Bicarbonate of Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
My Mom and I have to say me and my sister now.... add a little bicarb when cooking green cabbage...I beleive it keeps the colour I think its to do with waste not want not sort of 30's upbringing...eat what you can get. It also adds the colour to older carrots too.

Mom also adds bicarb when washing the nets she soaks them in bicarb before washing....
Nan used to do the same to sheets and table cloths white ones...........My Mom has said neighbours would class the cleanlesness of your sheets on the line, and your front door.
I also used to add bicarb to the saucepan when cooking cabbage years ago but don't bother now as I steam everything and it keeps its colour that way.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #12

I had a leaking 4 pint plastic bottle of milk (no,Idid nt know it was leaking when I bought it lol) and it tipped up in the car foot well. It was a very hot summer day and tho I cleaned it with carpet cleaner it stank to high heaven of sour yogurt! For months and months, despite repeated cleaning, and then I used bicarb diluted, let it dry and then rinsed it well away and yep! That took away the odour - thank goodness. J x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #13

I was told that adding bicarb to vegetables destroys vitamins. Anyone know if this is true?

Global Moderator

06-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
I was told that adding bicarb to vegetables destroys vitamins. Anyone know if this is true?
I didn't realise that MrsH ....... it's never too late to learn!

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/foodc/vegetables.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #15

Thanks for that link Mags. Coincidentally, I am beginning to try food combining - and find it beneficial so far.

Global Moderator

06-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks for that link Mags. Coincidentally, I am beginning to try food combining - and find it beneficial so far.
Sounds good Angie, what exactly are you combining?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #17

It's really more what not to eat together Mags. As your link indicated, according to the Hay diet, there are three basic types of foods: proteins, carbohydrates and fruit/veg (very basic - which is where I am atm!). You should not eat proteins and carbos together and, as far as I have worked out so far, fruit should be eaten on its own. You can eat protein with veg or veg with carbos. I suffer from IBS and over the last week that I have been following these "rules", my stomach has felt so much better.

Global Moderator

06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's really more what not to eat together Mags. As your link indicated, according to the Hay diet, there are three basic types of foods: proteins, carbohydrates and fruit/veg (very basic - which is where I am atm!). You should not eat proteins and carbos together and, as far as I have worked out so far, fruit should be eaten on its own. You can eat protein with veg or veg with carbos. I suffer from IBS and over the last week that I have been following these "rules", my stomach has felt so much better.
Interesting .......... my OH suffers with stomach problems so this may help him too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #19

Put a couple of drops of lavender or tea tree oil into a tub of bicarb and give it a good shake. Sprinkle the powder over the carpet, leave it a while - overnight is good but an hour will be fine - vaccuum up. Gets rid of nasty niffs but doesn't cause allergy/irritation problems like proprietary brand carpet fresheners.

(You don't have to add the oil if you don't like it)