Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
30-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #1

My fruit bushes have flowers!

My fruit bushed have done really well and although their first year they each have a few flowers on which I wasn't really expecting this year! Cherry tree is doing well too, no blossom but wasn't expecting it this year anyway. Sadly I think the peach tree and one of my roses have had it.

Flowers starting to come out on the Geum and London's Pride out the front so that will look lovely very soon! Next year will be the year it all starts looking better though, but happy so far! Still have some young plants all over my windowsil to go out yet. Myles sunflower has came up, well one of them, we planted 8 different varieties but just one has came up. But he is very pleased with it! My garden needed this rain so i'm glad really as will do it the world of good. As long as it brightens up for our Christening on Sunday!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

Re: My fruit bushes have flowers!

Good news, Random! Refresh my memory, what fruit bushes do you have? I too have a windowsill of little pots waiting to go outside; and two of my roses in the large pots didn't make it thru the Winter ...

Catsey Veteran

30-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

I have raspberries, black and red currants and gooseberries Eileen. My dad is also giving me some strawberries which are in a pot but have started to flower, he has a few of them so i'm having some.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

Those sound lovely. Have never tried growing fruits: between my fruit loving catbird and the &!*(%! squirrel, would never get a harvest. Are you going to tackle jam making when they're mature enough for a good crop? Raspberry jam on a nice warm scone....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #5

How fab random I didn't get near my blackcurrant bush last year, as soon as they appeared the chickens had them all lol. But as they are confined to the back of the garden now I should hopefully get to enjoy some. I really need to get some more different fruits, although I do have some strawberries in a grow bag in my greenhouse.

isn't it great when you see your garden start to come together? I have bought some 'pot luck' plants inthe last few days. No labels on so have no idea what they are (but they looked pretty ). And I hope you have a lovely day on sunday xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Wonderful! We can compare fruit notes
I have strawberries too in pots; they're starting to flower also. My 2 little apple trees are in full blossom and my blackberries, raspberries and blueberry are all looking healthy. I have a whole bed of rhubarb too - OH and Dominik (and I) all adore it so it'll get eaten no matter what

I'll take some close up pics this coming weekend . . . would be interested to see whether mine in the 'soft south' are progressing further or whether the slight difference in temperature ultimately makes little difference!

Excellent news about Myles' sunflowers . . . I'm planning to grow some through that tin fire engine so they just sprout through the area between the seat and the steering wheel

Catsey Veteran

30-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Those sound lovely. Have never tried growing fruits: between my fruit loving catbird and the &!*(%! squirrel, would never get a harvest. Are you going to tackle jam making when they're mature enough for a good crop? Raspberry jam on a nice warm scone....
Would be a couple of years before I could do so Eileen but I hope to and will certainly give it a go! Next year I will build them a wooden and wire frame to stop the birds and any other critters getting at them, not to bothered this year as if they do produce there will only be a few on each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
How fab random I didn't get near my blackcurrant bush last year, as soon as they appeared the chickens had them all lol. But as they are confined to the back of the garden now I should hopefully get to enjoy some. I really need to get some more different fruits, although I do have some strawberries in a grow bag in my greenhouse.

isn't it great when you see your garden start to come together? I have bought some 'pot luck' plants inthe last few days. No labels on so have no idea what they are (but they looked pretty ). And I hope you have a lovely day on sunday xx
Thank you Alex! It's lovely seeing everything grow, i'm so glad with the fruit bushes as they are all doing quite well and so early on, better than I had expected them to and at 2.99 for 3 bushes too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Wonderful! We can compare fruit notes
I have strawberries too in pots; they're starting to flower also. My 2 little apple trees are in full blossom and my blackberries, raspberries and blueberry are all looking healthy. I have a whole bed of rhubarb too - OH and Dominik (and I) all adore it so it'll get eaten no matter what

I'll take some close up pics this coming weekend . . . would be interested to see whether mine in the 'soft south' are progressing further or whether the slight difference in temperature ultimately makes little difference!

Excellent news about Myles' sunflowers . . . I'm planning to grow some through that tin fire engine so they just sprout through the area between the seat and the steering wheel
Oh I love rhubarb, we used to have it when we were kids, My dad has a tiny bit he managed to salvage when my mum did all the top half of the garden in gravel and decking after my dad had moved out. When it gets big enough I shall be pinching some of that too! I miss being able to go out and help myself, and the crumbles my dad would make with it and the apples too, it was a huge plant, always plenty for all of us, such a shame!

The sunflowers will look brilliant in that tin car Yola, can't wait to see that!

We will certainly have to see if yours come on a bit earlier with it being that bit colder up here, that will be interesting, we will see!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #8

Isn't it lovely for us to rabbit on about another joint pleasure, apart from felines!
I just love the soft fruit (I'll include rhubarb in that) - it gives so much pleasure/flavour for such little work. My gooseberries have flowered long since and the little berries are there, lots of flowers on the boysenberry (like a blackberry/loganberry hybrid), buds on the raspberries and black and redcurrants and strawberries will be ready to pick (from the polytunnel) next week. Lots of flowers on the first of the outdoor strawberries too.
Oh yum - this is a great gardening time of year - work tails off and eating ramps up!