Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
14-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #11

Re: Vaccination for Swine Flu....

I've never had a flu jab although I know quite a few people in the teaching profession who get one every year. (by the way, I'm delighted at not having any colds, sore throats, tight chests etc. since I retired - all those children passing on their germs!)

One thing that concerns me about the swine flu vaccine is that they're going to "fast-track" the approval process in order to get the vaccine out there as quickly as possible - might that be a recipe for disaster?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #12

That is a concern MrsH - I don't know how rigorous the tests are for the annual vaccine, parts of which are changed to reflect the state of the viral threat at that particular time.

Why do I keep getting flashbacks to that old BBC drama series "Doomwatch"?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #13

mmmmm, I'm very suspicious about the need to vaccinate all health workers so we can keep on working
smacks of over zealousness and a little scary!

OK, so I've been watching Torchwood and I'm getting political but I don't trust these people in power anymore.
I'll take my chance thanx. But what if it's imposed on me...
???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #14

I am really scared about Swine Flu. Both my kids have asthma so hope they will be offered the vacc soon... I have ongoing health issues which affect my immune system, so again this is the reason for my worry.

I will push for the vacc for my children ASAP because of their asthma.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #15

The are people at risk who would benefit from it, but people like me who do not have any health problems as such, should not be forced to have it....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
I've never had a flu jab although I know quite a few people in the teaching profession who get one every year. (by the way, I'm delighted at not having any colds, sore throats, tight chests etc. since I retired - all those children passing on their germs!)

One thing that concerns me about the swine flu vaccine is that they're going to "fast-track" the approval process in order to get the vaccine out there as quickly as possible - might that be a recipe for disaster?

Anyone remember the Asian flu scare in 1976? There were bad side effects and some deaths from that vaccine as I recall ..... as I'm in the older age group with possible resistence to it and also in excellent health (knock wood) will pass on this shot as usual.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
14-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #17

I have always had my children vaccinated and will have the swine flu vaccine if offered. A teacher and 5 children at the school where I work have swine flu and I heard on the news today of an otherwise healthy 7 year old who died from sf within 2 days

I don't believe in continual boosters though and none of my cats now have their annual booster, after initial vaccinations.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #18

I'm asthmatic and also have some immune compromise issues so get the annual flu innoculation. The thing that has me worried (and it's funny how it only worries you when it affects you personally) is that I'm from Hillingdon and the primary school where this little girl died was where many of my friends came from at secondary school. Also with Kelly's daughter having it here, again, it hits home as to how close it can be.

I'm in 2 minds as to whether Sebi's had this at the moment; tummy upsets, very high temperature spikes, irritability, loss of appetite . . . because so many of the symptoms are so generic it's so hard to make a conclusive decision. I'd rather not raise my head above the parapet because it could just as easily be a summer cold.

As for the jab . . . yes, for both me and the boys as soon as they can please. I'm not one for panicking but if I can help avoid any unnecessary illness and risk to health I would rather do so sooner rather than later.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
14-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #19

Very confused after googling the vaccine - seems a lot of people are very opposed to it. In fact some of the pictures painted about it are of a nightmare quality! I am asthmatic and if I ever get a cold or a cough, or in the past the flu, I have been left constantly breathless and struggling for breath at times so was relieved to hear about the vaccine initially. Now I dont know what to think. My little grand son has cerebral palsy, he is 3. He went to play school yesterday and is due to go again on Friday and there has been a confirmed case of it there today. My daughters also in a quandary re this vaccine when it becomes available. All a bit concerning really. Itslike being caught between a rock and a hard place! Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #20

I really feel they are rushing it, without really testing it properly....