Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby
01-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Nipple sucking

we have a gorgeous male kitten (Perry) who is about 5 months old now, we got him from his mother when he was 13 weeks old.

since we've had him he likes to suck his nipple whilst padding and purring, usually he'll do this on our lap or during petting, and if allowed to do it for a while will fall asleep.

I've assumed this is just the same as a child sucking his thumb and have ignored it (although he makes a really yucky sucking sound lol), but his nipple is now quite obvious when you stroke his tummy.

Is this a problem? or will it just stop as he gets older?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #2

Re: Nipple sucking

I can't say I've heard of a kitten sucking it's own nipple before - it's quite obviously a comfort thing. But as you say he was with his mother until he was 13 weeks, it can't be because he was taken from her too early. Can you be completely sure he was 13 weeks old???

I'll be interested to read what other members think about this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

I too have never heard of this ....... odd.

Cats owned: Tabby
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

I didn't want to hear it was odd where are all the members to say it was perfectly normal

yes he was definately 13 weeks as he was from a friend of my son's, family and we saw them on the day they were born.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

Well it's obviously a comfort to him and providing it does no harm , let him be I'd say .
My cat is constantly grooming and licking herself, in fact even after I've painstakingly combed and preened her she undoes all my good work each to their own.
Welcome BTW, I'll post on your intro thread too