Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
18-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #21

Re: Problems with Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Have you tired a water spray Angie, I use one to sort out unwanted behaviour....the trick is not to let them know where it came from...
I used a smal water pistol as you can hide it in your hand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #22

First, find a small water pistol! I only have the sort for spraying plants in the greenhouse and that's too visible. I will have a look next time I go into town - did have a quick Google and could only find a water version of an AK something made by a chap called Kalashnikov!!!

Anyway, Harley now has his own pad. The chicken house proved to be nice and dry inside, so I swept it out and he has newspaper on the floor, a cushy bed, some vet bedding and a food bowl in there. The pop hole has a new rope so can remain open; there are ventilation places all round and I've left the window open a bit, although may close that later. It's sheltered and has been inspected and approved by Pip. Harley himself jumped into it and has had his first little biccie snack in there. I have explained to Kizzy and Pip that that's Harley's Place where he can be quiet and on his own.

When I left, he was still inside. He has quietened down a lot already and he and Pip greeted each other nose to nose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #23

Sounds like a reasonable solution; will you let him in the house at all after a bit to see if being secure in his own place has calmed him down somewhat?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
First, find a small water pistol! I only have the sort for spraying plants in the greenhouse and that's too visible. I will have a look next time I go into town - did have a quick Google and could only find a water version of an AK something made by a chap called Kalashnikov!!!

These look ideal, Angie

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANAGRAM-FAVO...823073&sr=1-16

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #25

Glad things are improving for Harley. If worst comes to worst at least he has a nice shelter and regular food and people who care which is more than some cats have.
When we needed to spray Malaika we couldn't find a pistol that didn't leak so had to use a garden spray. We did manage to keep it out of sight mostly and just sprayed her at the crucial moment when she was too wrapped up in the cat to notice. As people have said it is important that the animal thinks the water jet comes from out of the blue

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Sounds like a reasonable solution; will you let him in the house at all after a bit to see if being secure in his own place has calmed him down somewhat?
That is sort of the million dollar question Eileen. I must not prejudge him, but my gut feeling is that he will be fine for a few days and then revert. I may be, and hope I am, wrong. I am thinking like that because he was a stray boy and had obviously been walkabout before. But maybe now, coupled with having been neutered, it will be a different story. I still talk to him and stroke him and he still reacts to me as before - affectionate and friendly.

Just have to add a lovely plus to this story. Kizzy and Pip have settled back to being lovely comfy homely little cats. Kizzy is back on our bed; Pip is back in his Pip's nest and all has returned to tranquillity in their world.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #27

I don't know why but I have sort of the same feeling that you do ... he'll revert. It would be like having a ticking time bomb, never knowing when it was going to go off... That is such good news about Kizzy and Pip Chin tickles to both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
18-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #28

I'm glad it seems like for now at least there is a peaceful solution and I'm glad Kizzy and Pip are just like they were. I hope this works out for Harley but also know you'll do what's best for him even if it doesn't