Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #11

Re: Problems with Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats' staff
Sorry to hear that Angie but you should be proud that you have got Harley to a stage where he will be a LOVELY cat for a single forever home- others wouldn't have cared so much.
I second this. You have got him off the streets and all fixed up; many would not have gone as far as you have. Maybe you were just meant to be a stopping point on his way to a happy life in a forever home. Please don't feel too bad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #12

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I still feel very sorry for Harley. It is almost like he is two different cats. I couldn't believe his behaviour this morning. I was still in bed - Kizzy had been with us most of the night and was still just sitting there, minding her own business. Harley came in - his tail was thrashing around wildly - of course there was a chase and much screaming from Kizzy. OH chased Harley out. Apart from fur, Kizzy wasn't hurt.

Later Harley bought a mouse and a vole and left them by our back door. Am I being very stupid to think they were to say sorry? OH gave him a bowl of food outside.

OH and I were out for our R&R and when we got home, Harley is curled up fast asleep on one of the chairs under the dinning table.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #13

It;s a pity you don't know what his life was like in his previous home. I know he went walkabout at least once before; is it possible he was being bullied by other cat(s) there, and has learned that behavior; now feels secure enough to do it himself? I know I may be reaching a bit here, but they do say bullied children often grow up to be bullies themselves.

Whatever, it does seem he will have to find anther home Poor gentle Kizzy.

Catsey Veteran

16-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #14

I have phoned our local Cat and Rabbit rescue and spoke to a chap who has advised me to exclude Harley from the house for at least a fortnight to try and break the cycle. I think I will try and rig up some sort of shelter for Harley in the old chicken house, which is at least waterproof. I can put newspapers and a blanket out there for him, in case he wants it and feed him out there. We will need to cancel his microchip entrance on the cat flap.

The man said that there is a possibility of a placement on a farm as Harley is now obviously a hunter. He's taken my details and I can phone back in a couple of weeks.

As I was typing this, Harley woke up and again chased Kizzy and Pip. We've had to chase him out of the house. Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #15

Harley is now excluded. It's very hard seeing his face at the window or the door. He doesn't know why. I have fed him outdoors this morning - it's a lovely bright day, if a bit chilly.

OH did find some info on behavioural problems yesterday. I will see if I can extract the bits that seemed relevant and post them for opinions.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #16

Poor thing, he doesn't understand, and there's no way to explain. But you can't tolerate that behavior; such a shame. I look forward to reading the behavioral bits.....

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #17

OH found this on the American site eHow - this is part of the article which I think sounds very reasonable. Whether I would be able to put it into practice however is debatable!

Scruffing is one of the best ways of discouraging undesirable behaviour in cats, as it is one of the ways mother cats discipline their kittens. Learn how to scruff your cat to train him properly and effectively.
Scruffing should be reserved for especially egregious behaviour such as physical aggression toward humans or another cat. I much prefer it to the common practice of using a spray bottle, which often results in a drenched, angry cat. Since the cat associates the spray bottle with the person holding it, he will only continue his misbehaviour when you are absent.
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: One to Five Minutes
Here's How:
1. Firmly grasp the scruff (loose skin at the top of the neck) of the cat. It should be understood that by "firmly," I do not mean to grab the cat roughly. The idea is to establish yourself as the dominant one, i.e., the "mother," not to be seen as another aggressor.
2. Firmly press the cat down to the floor while sharply saying "no!" Again, be firm, but not rough with your handling of your cat. If you know how to make the sound, you can preface your "no!" with a hissing sound, much as the mother cat would do.
3. Hold the cat in that position until you feel and see him relax his muscles. Some cats will visibly relax, as my Jaspurr, pictured here on the right, does. While you are holding him, speak softly and calmly to him: "You're my good boy." "I love my kitty."
4. Release your hold on the cat, then pet him and tell him "good boy." The idea is to discipline him without withholding your love. Jealousy is often the motivator for cats' aggression. The dominant cat in a household may always be looking out to protect his or her status as "top cat." Scolding him after the fact serves no purpose except to reinforce his anger.
5. If the precipitating event to the aggression was one of "misdirected aggression," such as a stray cat outside the window, take steps to discourage the stray from entering your property. Products designed for this purpose are described in my article, "Commercial Cat Repellents."
The most common cause of aggression in our house is of the misdirect variety, as stray cats or sometimes even raccoons, think nothing of strolling across our deck or staring back through the slider at our cats.
Tips:
1. Sometimes hissing loudly will be more effective than saying "no." Hissing will re-awaken memories of mother cat's discipline.
2. Do not attempt to scruff a cat in the middle of a violent fight between cats, as you may accidentally be scratched or bitten. It is best in those cases to separate the cats first by removing the least aggressive cat. If you have another family member available, have him take the other cat out of sight, then scruff the aggressor.
Another option is to throw a blanket, towel, pillow, or any other soft object at hand between the cats. The object can absorb the brunt of the aggressor cat's clawing, to give time to get the other cat out of the area.
3. Although the scruffing hold can almost always be released within a minute, with a particularly angry and upset cat, it may be necessary to hold him to the floor for three to five minutes. Do not let his anger transfer to you, but talk to him calmly and soothingly. When you feel him relax, continue with Step 4.
4. It would be best to keep the cats separated for the remainder of the day.
5. Warning: Although veterinarians may pick up a cat by the scruff of the neck, notice that they also support the cat with the other hand. Never pick up an adult cat by the scruff, as it can do serious internal damage. Always support the full weight of the cat underneath its body with the other hand.
What You Need:
• Stuffed toy or pillow to throw to the aggressor to redirect his aggression.

In Harley's case, I do not think it is redirected aggression as described here, but jealousy I feel may play a large part in his problem.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #18

That article sounds like it may have a good few tips there.
Scruffing may look awful to us but it's natures way of control between cats so there's some thing to be said for it. Good luck Angie, and Harley...listen to mum!

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #19

I agree, sounds as if it definitely would make sense giving it a try. If it works, great, if not, well, back to where you are now. It might take a while, I suspect ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #20

Have you tired a water spray Angie, I use one to sort out unwanted behaviour....the trick is not to let them know where it came from...