Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
01-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #21

Re: Just got a new kitten!

Hya, just caught this thread - I got Alfie (7 and a half weeks then) 4 weeks ago and have had to introduce him to my three adult cats, eldest 16 and youngest 4 - there were hisses and snarls, the odd swipe and that included from Alfie occasionally if he felt he was cornered. Now, they are all getting on much better - still keep an eye on them especially if Alfie is pestering them and attacking them (poor Felix gets the brunt of that playing) but the patience and time has paid off - as I am sure it will do with benny - you are making a big fuss of him and pretending to ignore the kitten to redress the balance a bit? I always make sure to fuss them all equally (or try to!) I am sure with patience and perseverance Benny will accept the kitten. Try bribery too - his favourite meal for instance - tuna, chicken , whatever he loves as a treat. Hope that works. Jan x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
01-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #22

Yes I am making a fuss of Benny, but it doesnt seem to be working. I bribe him as well cos thats the only way he will come in to the house if its for sweets! They are separated when I go to work, the wee one is kept out of the living room when we are not there. Also, if Casper is aggravating him too much, I put him in the bedroom so that Benny can get some peace. They are also kept separate at night. The wee one sleeps upstairs with us, but thats because of the catflap, I want Benny to come and go, but dont want Casper following him outside at night. In saying that, am happy that Benny has somewhere he can go, rather than on the streets wandering about. He may come round, eventually. He was here this morning when we got up and played (if you can call the slapping and hissing playing!), with Casper for about 2 hours before he had had enough and escaped!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #23

You seem to be managing the situation well Netty, glad Benny is around more.
I think sometimes we have to accept that some Cats won't particularly like each other, after all Cats are loners and not pack animals. I have never owned Cats that have seemed to like each other, even Tom and Jerry who are brothers. I get the impression that they tolerate each other rather than like. Of course i can't be sure and i have seen other forum members Cats cuddled up together, so you can't generalise.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #24

I think you have that right, Shelley. Patches and Misty just tolerated one another; Misty really bonded with Dandy. And look at Tink's Solomon and Kuan Yin ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
01-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #25

Also agree with above. Hestia does not truly enjoy the company of other cats, she doesn't Hate them, she'd just rather spend her time with a Human. I think some cats just tolerate each other, Kuan Yin and Solomon are my first experience of seeing cats bond so I know it's possible. Yet Hestia is the kind of cat that does her own thing and seeks out the company of her humans more. Which is perfectly fine because it's not like she's stressed out, she just chooses to spend her time differently and that is okay too.
It is still early yet, I am thinking Benny will come around. Some cats take longer to adjust than others and that is okay too as long as he is getting extra love and reassurance I think things will eventually work themselves out

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #26

Thanks guys. Heres hoping he does settle down. Cant and dont want to get rid of the kitten, hes quite happy here.