Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
19-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

Sudden Kneading

Hi everyone,

Merlin's well over a year old now and in the last week he's suddenly started kneading. I had heard that this was something common in kittens taken away from their mothers too young (kneading to get milk) but he left his mother at 18 weeks and has never done it before.

Does anyone have ideas why he might have started doing this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #2

Re: Sudden Kneading

It's always been my understanding that cats knead when they're happy and relaxed; yes, a relic of nursing but expressed as adults. I can't imagine why Merlin hasn't done it previously.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
20-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
It's always been my understanding that cats knead when they're happy and relaxed; yes, a relic of nursing but expressed as adults. I can't imagine why Merlin hasn't done it previously.
I agree with Dandysmom. When my cats are happy they knead (usually purr as well) me or the sofa, grass, etc that they are standing on.

Catsey Junior

20-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

I don't know whether to feel happy that he's started doing it then or sad that he hasn't done it before!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #5

All my cats love to knead and purr, especialy on a nice soft dressing gown! Strange that he hasn't done this before though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

Perhaps he's just suddenly very happy and relaxed. Has anything changed in your house Sugarant?

Catsey Veteran

20-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

Leia even kneads air! When she's on her back having a tummy rub her paws are flexing like mad as she purrs.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
20-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

Minnie kneads all the time and shes 13. She always looks like shes really concentrating when she does it.Its funny though cause she only kneads when shes on my lap not her dads. I understood they do it because there happy and love you.

Catsey Junior

04-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #9

I really can't think of what might have changed. He sleeps on my head/shoulder in that paws-stretched-out-across-your-neck way, always comes when he's called, likes a good brushing and he regularly lies across my lap so I can stroke his tummy but never any kneading before.

I've had to remove a few ticks from him this summer but I think that's the only thing that's been different.

Catsey Veteran

04-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #10

I guess it's just one of those things we'll never understand. What a pity they can't talk; nice that he's finally kneading now so obviously happy and contented.

Can you post some pics of Merlin?