Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: tortashell female
16-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #1

Introdusing a dog

RIGHT Hippus is my 1st ever cat, im not a "cat person" really but shes special. Im more of a dog type of person, now we are dog sitting for a friend. The dog isnt good with Hippus but does live with a cat Hippus growled and spat at the dog the 1st time she saw him, well to be fair it did chase her, since then shes kept to where the dog cant get, upstairs LOL

Now heres the problem, we are looking at getting a dog, we have seen one who is only 18mth old Hippus is about 2yr old no older. Dog is a rescue and not much is knows about him and other animals. Soooooo before i get him (if we do) i need to know how im best introducing cat to dog with the minimal fight.

Any advise would be great
Thanks
Sarah

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #2

Re: Introdusing a dog

Hi, Sarah, can't help with this as I'm 100% cat person, but many many members have dogs also. and hopefully will be on in the morning with good advice. It can be done.

Banned

Cats owned: tortashell female
17-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #3

Thanks, i hope someone can help i might also ask on Dogsy on how to do it from there experiance. Im confident Hippus will be ok once used to the dog as shes only a baby herself, shes more dog like really too as she comes on walks with us so i hope that wont stop.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
17-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

Hi Sarah

I was 100% cat until we got our puppy about 9 weeks ago. I have 3 cats and was particularly worried about one of them (Harry) as he lived on the fridge for a while when we got our 3rd cat an was really stressed.

I am no expert but what I would do is make sure that Hippus smells your hands everytime you have been to see/visit your new dog, so that the dog's scent is familiar to her.

Also, make sure she has a safe space/room in the house initially so she can get away from the new addition if she wants to. Over time I would not keep them separated for too long, as you will find that they don't get used to each other as quickly and it stresses them out for longer (in my personal opinion).

To be honest I expected them to have about a week to get to know each other and it took much longer, so don't expect it to happen overnight. It may be different for you as all animals are different. I did use Feliway for 2 months which I think helped - but it is expensive and not all cats respond to it apparently.

I was worried about the time it was taking for them to get on with each other and put a thread up here in the behaviour section titled 'Help Please Cats not liking new Puppy' and the advice I got there was invaluable, so have a read and you might find something there that can help.

Good luck and let us know how things go!!

Maryann

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
17-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Oh, I meant to say... they all get on great now, they play, sleep and cuddle together!!