Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: x breeds
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Introducing a new cat

Hope you can help. I have rescued a 16 month old tom cat Casper from a horrid home. His brother was killed by the dog 8 weeks ago since that the cat was shut in one room. He is so loving. But a bit fearful of noise and sudden movements.
We have had him neutered a week ago and he has been in my daughters room, which he doesnt mind, infact he loves it in there, dosent try to get out at all.
I have 5 cats, 3 boys all neutered and 2 girls. I introduced they 4 days ago and all went well a bit of hissing from my lot, Casper was trying to kiss them, no nastiness at all until my oldest boy jumped him!!! It then turned into ww111
my old boy ended up running from the situation. I took Casper out the room and left it for that day. I let Casper down last night, Simba my old boy is very scared and hides behind the sofa, the others lay around and hiss if Casper comes too close but no fights. Im putting them together for 2 hours a night while someone is with them.
I think Casper just wants to play with them but my lot are wary.
Anyone have any more ideas i can try or am i doing the right thing? Will they every be happy all together?

Lyn

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #2

Re: Introducing a new cat

So glad that you rescued Casper - poor boy - and have had him neutered. Great news that.

As to all getting on together - it will take time, especially for your established cats to accept him or at least leave him be. Basically they have to sort it out for themselves, hopefully with none getting hurt but it does help if they can all go somewhere they feel safe. Easy and gently is always best. Others may have more practical ideas - we do have plenty of members with multi cat households!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

Thank you for rescuing sweet Casper
It'll take time, but they'll get along. They all just need time together.

There are a few things that you could try. Try playing with the cats in the same room, especially with the ones that don't get along. Just be calm & take one of their favorite toys & get them to (try) to play together. Perhaps a string, you can get multiple cats playing that way. A laser might work as well.

Cats are all about scent, try taking a towel or fabric, wipe Casper with it, and then gently wipe it on the other cats and let them smell it. Leave the towel/fabric close to them for a little while. We have done this before with our new cats.

You could try giving them all snacks. Cats don't seem to fight when there are tasty snacks involved. Snack time with our cats is always quiet.

Also you could try putting Casper in your daughters room, then taking each individual cat in there with him alone & see what happens. Make sure to close the door so their alone time can't be interrupted. At first, just be in the room & just observe them. Let them sniff each other & interact. If it goes well, you can play with both of them in there. If it isn't going well, just open the door & let the cats out. Don't overwelm Casper by doing this with all your cats in a one day period. It would let him get to know each cat individually instead of being overwelmed by the entire family of cats.

They should all become friendly towards each other eventually...

Sorry for such a long post Hope all goes well with your lovely cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

How wonderful you rescued your boy! I can't add anything to HK's good advice above. It does take a bit of time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Fantastic advice there from HappyKatz - nothing more to add! I've been pretty lucky with introductions as all mine have been fairly indifferent to newcomers

Just be prepared for it to take time. I know sometimes it takes longer than you might like - just have to go with the flow as each introduction is different.

Cats owned: DSH
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #6

Poor Casper must be so confused and upset. He is a lucky boy to have found a new safe and loving home with you.

I think the advice given is spot on. We were told to try the scent rub on some handtowels when we got Woody. At that time we had two elderly cats who were not happy that their peace was being shattered. I think the scent thing really did work. We did also feed them together - with an extra dish - so 4 dishes for 3 cats.

I hope it works out soon but I'm sure they'll all get along.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #7

I forgot to mention it might be a good idea to get a plug in Feliway diffuser for it's calming properties. Can't hurt to give it try.