Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
29-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Catsey plans!

Hi Everyone

Firstly apologies for not being around much - it's been a hectic and somewhat difficult 12 months for me but I am now getting back into the swing of things and I have an idea that I would like to run by you

I am thinking of moving Catsey into a brand new forum called PetForums.co (yep, on the new shorter domain which is simply .co!) Where the Cat related forums from Catsey will move into the Cat Forums category, and the threads in the ‘other pets’ section move into the other pet categories. The off-topic posts can move into the off-topic sections if we think they should go over too. All the member details/profiles info etc will be carried over as well so there would be no need to sign up or fill in your profile again - it would pretty much mean carrying on there, a bit like a house move

One of the main reasons for this is that, like many forums these days, Catsey has been in steady decline - largely due to the impact of social networks - and I think a broader topic forum will stand a better chance of standing its ground.

As PetForums.co would have categories for different sorts of pets (essentially, lots of different pet forums but all in one place), we will hopefully see an increase in the number of people joining up, and perhaps participating in the communal (off-topic) areas too even if they don’t own cats. We did something recently with the Breedia forums whereby we moved all of Dogsey’s breed specific threads into breed specific forums - and it seems to be working pretty well, there’s breed specific chat in the breed sections, and communal areas for cross-over talk (At some point, Breedia may be expanded to cover cats too btw but that’s something for another time.)

Anyway what do you think? Catsey is badly in need of an update, we are using old software and it means we are sinking lower and lower in the search engines because of it. If we make this move, we will be on much more modern and up-to-date forum software (the same as Breedia). I think this, as well as the prospect of lots of new members whether cat owners or not, could help to give Catsey a much needed and long overdue boost. There would of course be links to the new PetForums.co from Dogsey and Breedia too (and from Catsey in case anyone comes here) - so again, it could get off to a nice start.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and sorry again for not being around much... I hope you have all been keeping well.

Az

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
30-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Re: Catsey plans!

Az, I know absolutely nothing about the 'workings' behind forums but so long as I know where I can post and that the threads are accessible I'm ok with it. Many of us here are multi pet households and we cross post about our animals on the various sections, so I can't see it being a problem. I would like to hear what others think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Like PoshPuss, I have no idea about the inner machinery of forums, but totally accept your point Az, about Catsey being in decline and needing a boost. Catsey is the only forum I use regularly however and I would hate to loose the feeling of a group of friends built up over a few years now. Some friends are not always here and that I suspect is the problem, folk move on and as such I accept that Catsey should move on or fade away - and I'd hate the idea of that.

I am not of the generations that like social networks as a whole so don't get involved - I was thinking maybe I should try again, but a whole new PetForum may fill the gap!

I will also be interested to see what others think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #4

I'm afraid that I am one of those that prefers social media to a traditional forum format. It enables me to quickly and easily keep in contact with a number of different friend circles (cats, school Mums, personal friends, online friends and my SON now) much more readily.

I have huge loyalty to Catsey as I have been a member for quite a while and feel very guilty that I don't spend as much time here as I should. I would be sad to loose the Catsey branding as it is an integral part of visiting here, but I also do respect the fact that it's a 'use it or loose it' scenario and in order for it to be used it must be visible.

Az, I know that you - for whatever reason - don't like to associate Catsey with social media, but is there not an argument for having a FB page which will attract much more traffic which might cross- polinate to the web forum also? But I guess you've already thought through that one if you're looking to change urls.

Whatever you do, ultimately I will continue with the Catsey family as there are some lovely people on here who I feel I am able to count as friends x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
30-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #5

YOLA and ANGIE : Thumbs up - LIKE

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

Hi Az,
i totaly agree about the decline of catsey and like lots of other people i don't really understand about domains etc.
I do have concerns about catsey being swallowed up by a more general forum. I have tried other forums like dogsey but do not use it as i find it way too big. I like catsey because it is so small and possible to read all new threads.
I do use a certain social network and like it but for me it serves a different purpose, a forum retains information in relatively easy places to find ( threads ) and so becomes a resourse for info. I do belong to another forum, again one that i don't go on anymore and they do have a social network page as well.

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
30-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Az, I know absolutely nothing about the 'workings' behind forums but so long as I know where I can post and that the threads are accessible I'm ok with it. Many of us here are multi pet households and we cross post about our animals on the various sections, so I can't see it being a problem. I would like to hear what others think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Like PoshPuss, I have no idea about the inner machinery of forums, but totally accept your point Az, about Catsey being in decline and needing a boost. Catsey is the only forum I use regularly however and I would hate to loose the feeling of a group of friends built up over a few years now. Some friends are not always here and that I suspect is the problem, folk move on and as such I accept that Catsey should move on or fade away - and I'd hate the idea of that.

I am not of the generations that like social networks as a whole so don't get involved - I was thinking maybe I should try again, but a whole new PetForum may fill the gap!

I will also be interested to see what others think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I'm afraid that I am one of those that prefers social media to a traditional forum format. It enables me to quickly and easily keep in contact with a number of different friend circles (cats, school Mums, personal friends, online friends and my SON now) much more readily.

I have huge loyalty to Catsey as I have been a member for quite a while and feel very guilty that I don't spend as much time here as I should. I would be sad to loose the Catsey branding as it is an integral part of visiting here, but I also do respect the fact that it's a 'use it or loose it' scenario and in order for it to be used it must be visible.

Az, I know that you - for whatever reason - don't like to associate Catsey with social media, but is there not an argument for having a FB page which will attract much more traffic which might cross- polinate to the web forum also? But I guess you've already thought through that one if you're looking to change urls.

Whatever you do, ultimately I will continue with the Catsey family as there are some lovely people on here who I feel I am able to count as friends x

Thanks for the feedback guys - I'm glad you are open to the idea

I think what we could have, is a private section just for Catsey members - that way, you guys will have a private area on the site that none of the new members can access so when you want to talk with just the Catsey Crew, you can do as you always have

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

I like the idea Azz, I too don't visit as often as I used to or as often as I should to help keep it afloat. Catsey definitely needs a facelift and new fresh blood.

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
30-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Hi Az,
i totaly agree about the decline of catsey and like lots of other people i don't really understand about domains etc.
I do have concerns about catsey being swallowed up by a more general forum. I have tried other forums like dogsey but do not use it as i find it way too big. I like catsey because it is so small and possible to read all new threads.
I do use a certain social network and like it but for me it serves a different purpose, a forum retains information in relatively easy places to find ( threads ) and so becomes a resourse for info. I do belong to another forum, again one that i don't go on anymore and they do have a social network page as well.
The good thing about the move will mean a condensing of sections Shelley, as I agree, that too many can become a bit of a pain. You would also be able to favourite/watch your favourite forum sections - so you could just watch all of the cat related ones and find them easily by clicking on the 'watched forums' tab (We have this on the Breedia forum)

Almost a Veteran Member

Azz is Male
30-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I like the idea Azz, I too don't visit as often as I used to or as often as I should to help keep it afloat. Catsey definitely needs a facelift and new fresh blood.
Haha yep - fresh blood is always good Elaine