Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
24-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #1

Nice, heavily scented plants?

Ok guys, out the back of the house I have a small bit of patio which is the dogs loo area and in front of this is an empty border. I'm looking for recommendations of nice smelling plants, or flowers to go in there, they need to be hardy and permanent and grow to a decent and bushy size so as to hide the dog loo area, I was thinking along the lines of maybe roses or similar but as to what type I don't know. Must be pet friendly obviously, nothing poisionus. I already have lavendar at the top of my path on the other side. Can't wait for the weather to get better!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #2

Re: Nice, heavily scented plants?

Hmmm, had my thinking cap on for this one, Random. Need to be reasonably bushy, non-poisonous, perennial and fairly low maintenance. Lilies are the obvious ones for scented,, but deadly to cats, so they're out; also moonvine which is incredibly scented but a tall climber so wouldn't do. Some, not all, peonies are fragrant; they would give you the screening effect you want. Old shrub roses are a good bet if the thorns wouldn't pose a problem; the older ones are very hardy and don't need a lot of fussing. Smaller lower growing fragrant things you could plant around them would be hyacinths for Spring bloom, and pinks (Dianthus) for Summer. And, rosemary shrubs are fragrant and moderately tall, thyme is scented also but low growing.

Personally, I think I'd go with the older roses; am into them so could send you some links if you'd be interested in doing any research.

Hope other members can come up with some things I've overlooked!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

I've been thinking about this random. I think roses would be a great idea, as it might stop the dogs bounding across that border - you could try a hedge of rosa rugosa (there are loads of different varieties); this link shows a scented one -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...es/11434.shtml

You could also go for Philadelphus (the Mock Orange) which is very highly scented, but has a relatively short flowering season. http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/2068.shtml

Depending on the size of your border, you could have obelisks at the back with scented herbs (as dandysmom suggested) in the front.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
25-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #4

Thank you both! Yes Eileen links would be great thanks and I can have a look and read up on them.

The border can be as big as I want to make it as there is nothing in it just now and just lawn in front of it so I could easily dig it further. I think that's a good idea to put the herbs in the front as I was contemplating herbs for the scent but obviously they wouldn't screen a squatting dog.

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #5

How could I have forgotten Mock Orange!!

This is an informative rose site; in the States (I've ordered from them) but lots of info and gorgeous pics. I'd suggest looking at Shrub Roses and Old Garden Roses. When you click on the pic, lots of info about the plant ...see if anything strikes your fancy, then you can see if you can find it on a UK site. I'm personally fond of the Gallicas in Old Garden roses!

Hardiness table is for the US, will see if I can find a zone map and send a link. Have fun looking, I could spend hours there!
http://www.heirloomroses.com/

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

I suggested the rosa rugosa because not only can you get scented varieties, but also there is the added bonus of decorative rose hips through autumn/winter. When fully grown, they prove a great barrier because of the thorns, which of course could also be a reason not to have them!

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #7

Good idea about the rose hips. I know they're full of vitamin C and some people make jelly from them ....never tried it myself

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

I understand they can be very bitter!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
How could I have forgotten Mock Orange!!

This is an informative rose site; in the States (I've ordered from them) but lots of info and gorgeous pics. I'd suggest looking at Shrub Roses and Old Garden Roses. When you click on the pic, lots of info about the plant ...see if anything strikes your fancy, then you can see if you can find it on a UK site. I'm personally fond of the Gallicas in Old Garden roses!

Hardiness table is for the US, will see if I can find a zone map and send a link. Have fun looking, I could spend hours there!
http://www.heirloomroses.com/
Have spent ages looking round this. I might give roses another try. I planted two climbers last year and they're in a very exposed part.

Like the idea of herbs as well. It means if they get brushed against you'd get a lovely aroma.

Oh I do love garden ideas.

Let us know what you decide to do random.

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Have spent ages looking round this. I might give roses another try. I planted two climbers last year and they're in a very exposed part.

Like the idea of herbs as well. It means if they get brushed against you'd get a lovely aroma.

Oh I do love garden ideas.

Let us know what you decide to do random.
I can't pass my rosemary bush without rubbing my fingers over a spray to get the lovely scent! Also the oregano.

Glad you liked that site. I had a lovely Tuscany Superb from them until last year when I had the landscapers and it got chopped down by mistake .....