Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #31

Re: rescue dog policy (neutering)

Quote:
They shouldn't take them in if they can't cope with the demand.
They have absolutely no choice in the matter as it is more of a pound than a rescue and do a brilliant job so once again I ask do you think the majority should die to save the few (i.e. neutering and home checks) as there are only limited resources for that many dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
They have absolutely no choice in the matter as it is more of a pound than a rescue and do a brilliant job so once again I ask do you think the majority should die to save the few (i.e. neutering and home checks) as there are only limited resources for that many dogs.
Of course they have a choice!!They do not HAVE to do anything.
I'm not saying that they don't do a brilliant job. I don't think the majority would die just because some of them are neutered... I haven't really got an issue with not home checking.

At the end of the day we all want the same things, we all want to save all the animals, but lets face it.. it will never happen, so we do the best we can. Lets agree to differ on what we personally feel is right as I feel we are going round in circles here.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
02-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #33

Can you explain why they have a choice when all the police and local Dog Wardens take strays there? I promise I will now leave it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Can you explain why they have a choice when all the police and local Dog Wardens take strays there?
They are not Forced to take them are they?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #35

Hang on Rosie, are you talking a strays kennel here? If you are its exactly the same if not MORE important that they refuse if they have no space. These places are LISENCED establishments that must adhere to the laws governing them, it would be incredibly dangerous to "double up" or take more than they can cope with, can you just imagine what might happen here?

Its the same with any place taking in animals, if they dont have the space they say no. They would be doing the animal in question no favours by taking it when they could not provide sufficient care for it,
Dawn.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #36

I think all recues you should be required to neuter the dog before it leaves the rescue centre. I know money is an issue but when some-one is allocated a dog they should before they take the dog home pay for the operation.

I know of some-one who just recently got a dog from The Dogs Trust and the dog isn't neutered and has had two accidental matings with free roaming males - I think luckily there is no pregnancy - but I thought an organisation like the Dogs Trust neutered all dogs before they left? obviously not.

O.T - I think males and females should all be neutered unless they are breeders dogs - my own males were done at 6 months old and for them it hasn't affected their coats they did put a bit of weight on but that has been managed now with a better diet.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #37

I think if a bitch hasn't been spayed beofre leaving Dogs Trust you get a voucher to get it done when the time is right???? I think anyway???

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
16-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #38

I have had two rescues, one a breed rescue and the other from a general animal rescue. I was never asked to have the first one neutered, nor did anyone come round to see if my home was suitable. The recent rescue I asked to be spayed before I had her, I couldn't do with all the males in the neighbourhood beating a pathway to the door. She was duly done and the Vet's fee to the Rescue was £25.00, if I had had her done at my Vet, who I do know very well and who has had a lot of my custom in the past,the fee would, I am sure, have been far more than £25.00. Needless to say the second Rescue got a much bigger donation from me than the Breed rescue. Incidentally I didn't have the first one castrated, we had an escape proof garden.

I did have a dog castrated because he had persistant cystitis, (it cured it, though why I have no idea) but he was finally put down because he had prostate cancer!!!!) and I had to have a spayed bitch put down when she had had so many mammery tumours I just couldn't put her through another operation. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoes
I have had two rescues, one a breed rescue and the other from a general animal rescue. I was never asked to have the first one neutered, nor did anyone come round to see if my home was suitable. The recent rescue I asked to be spayed before I had her, I couldn't do with all the males in the neighbourhood beating a pathway to the door. She was duly done and the Vet's fee to the Rescue was £25.00, if I had had her done at my Vet, who I do know very well and who has had a lot of my custom in the past,the fee would, I am sure, have been far more than £25.00. Needless to say the second Rescue got a much bigger donation from me than the Breed rescue. Incidentally I didn't have the first one castrated, we had an escape proof garden.

I did have a dog castrated because he had persistant cystitis, (it cured it, though why I have no idea) but he was finally put down because he had prostate cancer!!!!) and I had to have a spayed bitch put down when she had had so many mammery tumours I just couldn't put her through another operation. Logoes
Thats another reason I hate Vets pushing male dog neutering saying it will prevent it, it doesnt. Sorry you lost him to it Logoes.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Thats another reason I hate Vets pushing male dog neutering saying it will prevent it, it doesnt. Sorry you lost him to it Logoes.
Hi Dawn!!!!
But if it is done early enough it can help to prevent it. It also stops the dog suffering from prostate disease, which isn't at all pleasant for them.
*Steps back and waits*.....

(Bet your glad I popped over here aren't ya?!!! )