Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Has anyone noticed the difference in "types" of walkers?

This is something that the OH and I have noticed over many years and I wondered if Catseyers have any observations or comments to make. I'm using the term "walkers" quite loosely here

"Types" of walkers

Dog walkers - generally friendly and stop and chat
Walkers, on their own or in couples/groups - generally acknowledge with time of day
Horse riders - Always give the time of day cheerfully (well they do down here and don't seem to be snooty any longer!)
Cyclists - do acknowledge if they've not going too fast!
Runners/Joggers - ditto above.
Bird-watchers - the most miserable people I've ever met on a walk. Never acknowledge and look as if their faces have never smiled at all. Bah!!! (to borrow one of Dandysmom's words!) I can only assume they didn't see the bird of their dreams This is sad, because I am a bird watcher myself and really enjoy doing this and have to contain my excitement at seeing what are really quite ordinary everyday birds Several times over the years I've thought of writing to the RSPB about it. I suspect that these grumpy bird-watchers are probably of the "twitcher" variety.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: Has anyone noticed the difference in "types" of walkers?

What an interesting observation! Not being a dog walker I don't really see the variety of people you do, my walking before COPD limited it was mainly on City streets; I'd generalize that runners and bicyclists here never or rarely speak or nod; and dog walkers apparently notice body language (I tend to cringe and look apprehensive) as they either say nothing or look a bit annoyed/disgruntled. I've never noticed any birdwatchers when walking in the woods.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

See I have no opinion on this as I am adog walker who is miserable and aloof and yet still people approach me maybe I need to ebcome a twitcher..............

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
See I have no opinion on this as I am adog walker who is miserable and aloof and yet still people approach me maybe I need to ebcome a twitcher..............
Be honest Kazz ...... you are a walking magnet!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
30-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

I'd say it is geographical. Running here loads of people smile or say hello, running last week in Bristol NO-ONE said hello. Walking in the Peak District most says hello, walking around Wiltshire and Hampshire- some people did, walking in Kent, few, walking in Yorkshire and Northumberland EVERYONE does.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
That made me chuckle Kazz! Thanks!

CS - you may have a point there, but I have to stress that OH and I have walked in Cumbria and Yorkshire, Norfolk, North Devon and have always found bird-watchers to be miserable g**s!

Catsey Veteran

30-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
CS - you may have a point there, but I have to stress that OH and I have walked in Cumbria and Yorkshire, Norfolk, North Devon and have always found bird-watchers to be miserable g**s!
I suspect I have't walked much where there are bird watchers! Mind you- you have a point as the people watching the red kites in wales a few years ago weren't the friendliest!

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #8

A nice gentleman tipped his cap to me this morning as I cycled by! he was with what appeared to be a 'Monty' so you are obviously very polite walkers Angie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #9

Hah! I can add another category to that. Aberdonian walkers (no shouting Elaine ) I swear in the 10 years we lived in that city that anytime Robert or I said hello to anyone they looked at us as if we were going to mug them!!! Even the dog walkers I think it's the cold up there, affects the brain cells

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Hah! I can add another category to that. Aberdonian walkers (no shouting Elaine ) I swear in the 10 years we lived in that city that anytime Robert or I said hello to anyone they looked at us as if we were going to mug them!!! Even the dog walkers I think it's the cold up there, affects the brain cells
Lucky for me I live outside Aberdeen thenMust say I have made a lot of friends dog walking...