Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
19-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

worried about Mustard.

Mustard is a 7 year old, semi-feral cat we have. He was diagnosed with toxoplasmosis about 6 months ago, and is on a steroid tablet every other day.I m worried that he isn't happy, and his gums look really pale. I will get him in and blood tested, but he gets very stressed. Has anybody any experience of a cat with toxo or one who was on steroids long term. How did your cat get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #2

Re: worried about Mustard.

My old boy Winston was on steriods for 2 and a half years, shouldnt have been but he was (long story), anyway it's hard for me to say whether they played a part in his demise or if they were what may have helped him keep his appetite.
I'm sorry that's probably of no help to you and poor Mustard.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

Wish I could help, but no experience with it. My neighbor's Aby was on steroids for a while, don't remember what for, and put on a horrific amount of weight...she looked like a little brown watermelon with legs.

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Mustard hasn't put on any weight, he is rigid when you stroke him, although he does seem to enjoy it and purrs. His coordination it really bad, but it does vary from day to day, as does his eyesight I'm sure. He seems completely blind some days and better others. He usually misses the litter tray and can smudge it around the room. I don't mind all this, as long as he is happy, but I am worried he is aneamic, as the vets did say he could get worse and his organs begin to deteriorate. I will take him to the vet next week, but he gets so stressed he poops in his box and is then sick.

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #5

Awww, poor old boy, farthing. I do hope the vet can make him feel better as the time goes on .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #6

Oh poor Mustard. I haven't of cats getting toxoplasmosis - but I know it's a vile disease

My FIV boy was on steroids for the last 50% of the time he was with us. It did make him perk up a bit (but he was a bit up and down anyway - made the downs less pronounced) but I don't remember any pale gum symptoms as you describe them.

Please let us know how you get on at the vet, Farthing.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

Thanks everybody for your concern over Mustard, but it appears (with him) I have been a bit paranoid as his colour is fine and generally he is OK. Neurologically he may get worse, I thought the vet ,meant overall so was imagining all kinds of things going wrong.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #8

That's a relief! Better be a bit overzealous and have it checked out than to ignore it....not that you would, meant generally.