Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
19-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Daisy is falling over.

Daisy is our earless, CRF, hyperthyroid cat and over the last few days has been wobbly. I took her to the vet yesterday morning as the wobbliness was more apparent.
The vet thinks this is probably bad news, although she is bright and not dehydrated ( my concern was her kidneys had finally stopped working). I wonder if it is possibly an inner ear problem as she always has mucky ears. The vet thinks if it were she would have a head tilt and nystagmus, has anybody experienced this without their cat have either of the symptoms mentioned above.
I'll book her in for bloods to check there is no deterioration elsewhere. She's had an antibiotic, vitamin B and an anabolic steriod to perk her up and try to stimulate her appetite as she's not eating greatly either.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

Re: Daisy is falling over.

Did the wobbliness come on suddenly? Just reminds me of how my old Merlin was after he (probably) had a stroke. He did recover, there's something amazing about the nerves around the base of a cat's brain according to the vet Merlin saw at the time. Poor wee Daisy, gentle hug for her.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
19-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #3

I don't know much about inner ear infections in cats, Farthing, but I do wish poor Daisy all the best. I do hope that you can get to the bottom of this and she comes right again. Poor wee girl.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
19-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

Poor Daisy, hugs for her. Hope you find the cause of her wobbles.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
20-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

Complivet would help on the eating front a pump of the stuff equals a 4kg cats full days calories I have 2 of mine on their extra treat daily and works very well

May be some liquidised food would be easier to eat or a favourite here when unwell Royal Canin kitten food its small chuncks and comes in gravy may be worth a go

Catsey Veteran

20-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #6

Thank you, I'll ask Laurie tomorrow about the supplement Liz, it would be very useful.
Daisy is brighter today, still wobbly but earning, although now constipated! Bovril is looking very rough today, eating but not greatly. Hopefully he will rally again, I think he's had some diarrhoea but I don't think he's dehydrated...... Nothing is ever easy! I am just so frustrated and scared, it's so hard to know what to do next .

Catsey Veteran

23-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Daisy is much worse today, her back left leg is knuckling over at the toes which suggests to me something neurological. It looks almost like something Skeletal or muscular has happened. She's off to the vet this afternoon for bloods and a re-examine but I have a bad feeling about this. She's eating quite well and I've started her on the complivit, as well as Bovril.
It's not a good time here as Jake, our 15 year old border collie had an ulcer on Monday, I was putting 3 different meds in at various times, which meant he was getting eye drops hourly til midnight, one at 3 am and starting hourly again at 6, but the eye ruptured this morning. He's in to get it removed but has a heart murmur too. I feel like I'm failing every way I turn at the moment when I'm only trying to make their lives better for longer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Sounds like you're having a bad time and struggling farthing. I know you are doing the very best you can for poorly animals and sometimes, as you know, it comes to a point where you can do no more. ((((HUGS))))

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
23-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Oh dear Farthing, what an awful time for you. I'm sure you are not failing, you are doing your very best to help your animals get the best treatment. They are very lucky to have such a caring Mum. It is very painful to see animals who are suffering, I hate it when any of mine are ill but you are caring for them in the best possible way. Lots of hugs to you and Bovril, Daisy and Jake.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
23-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

Oh Farthing, my thoughts and prayers are with you, Daisy and Jake today.You are a wonderfully caring person. Hang in there and hopefully something good may come out of all your troubles.I'm thinking of the three of you today.