Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Age of neutering - should we do it earlier?

I found this interesting Policy Statement from The Cat Group (Blue Cross & other worthy organisations)
http://www.thecatgroup.org.uk/
Basically they are saying - do it at 3-4 months, don't wait for 6.
Interesting!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #2

Re: Age of neutering - should we do it earlier?

I'll read the link but I think (distant memory) Cleo was done about 5-6 months and Oscar shortly after but not that young.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

twix and oatmeal were done at 6 months if i remember right.
Doing it earlier would solve a lot of issues, but only if it is safe to do earlier. If it were done earlier then breeders wanting thier kittens to be pets only could get them done BEFORE selling them, thus ensuring they arent bred from.

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
If it were done earlier then breeders wanting thier kittens to be pets only could get them done BEFORE selling them, thus ensuring they arent bred from.
That's what the policy says - vaccs @10 & 12 weeks, wait 2 weeks, neuter, wait 2 weeks, kits to new home 'all systems go' no need for vet visit for a year, at age 16 weeks instead of the current 12-13 after vaccs.
Sounds reasonable, and responsible breeders could be reassured that their kits sold as pets could not be bred from, no matter what

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
That's what the policy says - vaccs @10 & 12 weeks, wait 2 weeks, neuter, wait 2 weeks, kits to new home 'all systems go' no need for vet visit for a year, at age 16 weeks instead of the current 12-13 after vaccs.
Sounds reasonable, and responsible breeders could be reassured that their kits sold as pets could not be bred from, no matter what
I think this sounds like a very good idea. I think some people, perhaps, might end up with accidental litters because they 'didn't get round to spaying'
(IMO not a valid excuse but no doubt happens) not to mention the people that actively want a litter, or belive all cats should have/sire a litter before being neutered.

I had my boys castrated at 5 months - I did ask if it could be done earlier but 5 months was the earliest my vet would do it.

I dropped the boys off at 8am that morning and they were home again by 12.30. I had taken the afternoon off work as I wanted to spend it with them in case they were feeling sorry for themselves. As soon as I got home they were jumping all over the place, rolling over each other and begging for food. No drowsiness from the anaesthetic and no visible pain or discomfort. They also had no stitches so didn't need to go back to the vets at all. My partner was sure that I had paid £120 (I had them both micro chipped while they were under) just to have their private bits shaved as they were exactly the same as they had been that morning - but had playing time to catch up on!

Based on that experience I would have no problem neutering before this age. Obviously spaying is a more intrusive operation but I think the benefits of not having a litter are far more beneficial to a cat and the cat population as a whole.

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #6

and of course any reputable buyer wanting a PET only wouldnt have a problem waiting that tiny bit extra and having a nuetured cat.

SHame it doesnt happen more often though, and shame more people dont get thier cats neutured, moggies or not.

Global Moderator

01-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #7

Cassie was done at 5 months and Sam at 6 months......

Catsey Veteran

01-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #8

OK - this has reminded me of something from pre-history!

We got our first cat 6 weeks after we got married (didn't get a telly till 6 months lol!). So, that would have been Aug 1972 (yes - it's a long time ago. I was 4 at the time! ). The kitty (Sissons) was quite small when we had him neutered, but i can't remember the age.

Anyway, the reason i am telling this story is because he had it done with a local anaesthetic only and I held him . Sounds gruesome, but it wasn't.
The vet was an elderly female (so it seemed to me at the time - she was prob about 50) with hair pulled back and a tweedy skirt. Very matter of fact. She wrapped Sissy up in a cloth, with just the rude bits showing, made me hold the cloth bundle, put in the local (yes he squeaked then, and wee-ed) and made tiny incisions and removed tiny accessories. I was able to make soothing noises, he didn't cry. The whole thing took only minutes, i popped him back in the zip-top shopping back, walked home with him and let him out the bag. He hopped out and was good as new - absolutely no ill effects.
Maybe we make too much fuss over it now, for the boys? That episode made me think it was pretty simple.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #9

Okay found my diary Cleo was done Friday 28th January 1983. Oscar was done Friday 25th Feb 1983. Haven't written the price down though just a smiley face by the side

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
01-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #10

When we had our first moggy the vet told us to wait till she'd had her first season before speying, we asked how we would know, he said we wouldn't be able to miss it. The only visible sign was that she was desperate to get outside, which despite our best efforts she managed to escape and no amount of coaxing with a tin of tuna was going to bring her back in. The next day there was a row of tom cats sat on our wall! Which resulted in a young cat having difficulties passing large kittens resulting in a cesarean saving only two of four kittens. So yes I think it would be a good idea to have it done at least before six months.